Thread: small question?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
End of first half of JV game, I go to table to see if everything is OK. Time keeper says he switched arrow towards team A. Visiting scorekeeper says he has the ball going towards his team (team B)to start second half. So I ask official scorekeeper, she is deer in headlights and has not been keeping track of AP. So I gave the ball to team A because thats the way the arrow was going in the first place. I wasnt sure which way to go. Am I Right? or Wrong? I went and asked the Varsity guys they himmed and hahhed and were not sure themselves. So thats why I am here.
Chris the problem you have is that the SCORER not the TIMER is charged with keeping the arrow by the NFHS rules. You need to have a brief chat with your table prior to the game and mention something like, "Ok you have the book and you have our clock. Good, then you will be tracking the possession arrow for us. Please write down the time of each held ball in the book and make sure to let us know when a player has five fouls. (Turn to other person) And if there are any problems you have the horn, so just hit it and call us over. Thanks."

You failed to do this, and as in most nonvarsity games there can be lots of held balls, it seems that you got stuck in a situation where you were unsure.

Lessons taken from this:
1. Better pregame
2. Better mental focus on the arrow yourself
Right?

You'll do better next time.