The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Four-person crew? Worrying about when the folding chairs rotate? You guys are way overthinking this. You only need two officials and two folding chairs (and the folding chairs don't need to move ... at least not more than 14 feet). Everyone knows from where the "best looks" in the gym come.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

why even get the chairs just sit in the stands since the fans swear they see everything and have the best angles -- why bust your butt when you can relax
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
why even get the chairs just sit in the stands since the fans swear they see everything and have the best angles -- why bust your butt when you can relax
Because if we sit in the stands they'll want some of our donuts!

That's why
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Did anyone play sports at this level? If you did can you tell me what you remember about the games? Do you remember anything about the teams and the coaches? I know I cannot. I do not remember anything other than when I kind of "kicked" a kid after I was knocked down during a loose ball. The only thing I remember is my Mom was in might direct line of eyesight and gave me a look as if he was going to kick my butt right there. I remember that look and I am in my 30s. I cannot tell you anything about the game or anything outside of the game. I do not even remember how old I was, but I do remember it was a game at the local YMCA.

My senior year we made the playoffs in football and I can tell you everything down to the pre-game rituals that were used before the game. I cannot even name any of the youth team’s names that I played on and I was in all kinds of sports as a kid.

The point is you need to keep these games in perspective. They might be important for an hour, after that the kids will move on to other things. So if you have a bad experience, keep what took place in total perspective to what these games really are. Importance is also very subjective. Maybe for some that only work these games these might be the most important part of your day. I have a life outside of officiating and working any game is only going to go so far with my life and how upset I get. The fact that these games are not my aspiration or where I work mostly, this would not keep me upset and worried for 10 minutes after a game. There are varsity games that I do not put the same value on as other games that might be monumental in my career (like the game I had last night).

Peace
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Did anyone play sports at this level? If you did can you tell me what you remember about the games? Do you remember anything about the teams and the coaches? I know I cannot. I do not remember anything other than when I kind of "kicked" a kid after I was knocked down during a loose ball. The only thing I remember is my Mom was in might direct line of eyesight and gave me a look as if he was going to kick my butt right there. I remember that look and I am in my 30s. I cannot tell you anything about the game or anything outside of the game. I do not even remember how old I was, but I do remember it was a game at the local YMCA.

My senior year we made the playoffs in football and I can tell you everything down to the pre-game rituals that were used before the game. I cannot even name any of the youth team’s names that I played on and I was in all kinds of sports as a kid.

The point is you need to keep these games in perspective. They might be important for an hour, after that the kids will move on to other things. So if you have a bad experience, keep what took place in total perspective to what these games really are. Importance is also very subjective. Maybe for some that only work these games these might be the most important part of your day. I have a life outside of officiating and working any game is only going to go so far with my life and how upset I get. The fact that these games are not my aspiration or where I work mostly, this would not keep me upset and worried for 10 minutes after a game. There are varsity games that I do not put the same value on as other games that might be monumental in my career (like the game I had last night).

Peace
some serious holes in your story -- is she or isnt she your mom? because I am confused
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anyone play sports at this level? If you did can you tell me what you remember about the games? Do you remember anything about the teams and the coaches?
Peace

I am not arguing with you or anyone else on the subject anymore, But yes i do remember every team I played for, Baseball, basketball and football. I remember most of my coaches, little league, grade school and high school. I even remember some of the guys that officiated these games.

Do I remeber every game, no. I remember some of the bigger games.

I think one of the biggest honors I have every had in sports/officiating was being apart of renaming a local 110% award to an officials name that worked for me for severall years, he also umpired several of my little league games and high school games, and reffed some of my basketball games and then i got to present it to the first time award winner while this gentle was present.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There are varsity games that I do not put the same value on as other games that might be monumental in my career (like the game I had last night).

Peace
What game did you do last night? Were you on ESPN?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
some serious holes in your story -- is she or isnt she your mom? because I am confused
I left off an "s" I do not know how you are going to recover.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
What game did you do last night? Were you on ESPN?
I was probably almost 100 miles in another direction.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I am not arguing with you or anyone else on the subject anymore, But yes i do remember every team I played for, Baseball, basketball and football. I remember most of my coaches, little league, grade school and high school. I even remember some of the guys that officiated these games.

Do I remeber every game, no. I remember some of the bigger games.

I do not know what you accomplished in sports, but there was not big game at the JH and youth level of sports. Even the freshman ball I played I did not consider that big of a deal. I made a shot in a varsity game as a sophomore and I remember who we played and why we were in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I think one of the biggest honors I have every had in sports/officiating was being apart of renaming a local 110% award to an officials name that worked for me for severall years, he also umpired several of my little league games and high school games, and reffed some of my basketball games and then i got to present it to the first time award winner while this gentle was present.
That sounds great and I am glad you are proud of that. But for many of us we do not want to work little league sports. I do not like those games because they do not have the same pressure or sense of accomplishment. They even have to pay more money in some cases to find officials to work those games in my area to be able to compete with HS sports or other events. We need to stop fooling ourselves with reality. When someone in my area posts an opportunity for someone to work a lower level game, officials find all kind of reasons not to work those games. When an opportunity to work a varsity or college game is send out, and then the assignor or official has to pick and choose who they are going to allow to work the game.

I did not get emails a couple of weeks ago because someone says me on TV asking me about a call because I was working a JH game. The point is to keep this incident in perspective. I would not lose sleep over what happen at one of these games. People will not let me sleep over a call I made during a TV Game of the Week that I did not ask to be on TV. Working JH ball is not the highlight of my career.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

I'll speak for the other half (or maybe not quite half). I have reffed for 13 years, and done about 60-80 games a year. I started to ref JV and V basketball about 3 years ago, but I have not very actively pursued it. So most of my Friday nights are spent reffing 7th-8th grade games in the Lutheran schools. There are quite a few in our area and they have a very competitve league. Some of these kids will play in high school. Some won't. But when you have two schools from the same town playing a close game with a packed gym, it is important to them. When they play their tournaments at the end of the season, it's important to them.

I understand that some of you may not appreciate why I wouldn't want to "advance" to high school or college and be Mr. TV Game of the Week. I do it for the kids. I taught grades 6-8 for many years, and enjoy helping them learn and grow. I enjoy having the respect of the players and coaches of the schools I regularly ref.

I still read my rulebook. I still attend clinics when I can. I still belong to a good association. I still "advance" in officiating. I just choose to do it on a personal level.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

This thread has gone so many directions, I can't remember the OP. (more coffee, time2ref???).

Oh yeah, how important are these games? Just a couple of thoughts:

When we start giving driver's licenses to 10 yr. olds, you can blame them for not showing up to the game on time.

Important to all the kids? Maybe not. I had a youth game last year. I'll never forget when I heard the coach telling this little girl she was going to play the next quarter. With a frown on her face, she said "Do I have to"?

Folding chairs. How about those "hover-rounds". You know, the motorized carts? (equipped with baskets to carry the doughnuts). Also, If I spill my coffee on the floor, does the home team get the warning for providing the doughnuts, or the visiting team for NOT providing the doughnuts.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Oh YEAH!!!! Smitty. LOL. I think I've worked with Smitty before.