The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question is, Faced with a situation like this, Does anyone have any other suggestions
where was your partner? Was he there when you were leaving? One thing that I do with most of my partners we exit the school as a crew for safety. The other is that it is not only your word against the coach but your partner there as a witness. Other than that you did the correct thing in my opinion.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 04:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Had MS Game last week where the losing home coach came into our locker room after the game to tell us what he thought of our officiating. My senior partner very politely said "coach, you have no business here" and asked him to leave. Coach said we would never work there again. I reported it to my assigner. Our association head contacted the school AD - who said, the coach was young and the AD said he "never met a coach who didn't think a ref missed a call"......
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Had MS Game last week where the losing home coach came into our locker room after the game to tell us what he thought of our officiating. My senior partner very politely said "coach, you have no business here" and asked him to leave. Coach said we would never work there again. I reported it to my assigner. Our association head contacted the school AD - who said, the coach was young and the AD said he "never met a coach who didn't think a ref missed a call"......
In Kansas this would also be reported directly to the state. And, if you have direct knowledge that the AD said that, I'd report that to the state as well.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I T'd a coach once for tell me my partner was terrible.......
He got the seat belt for the rest of the game...

About 5 minutes later I am standing in front of his bench during freethrows. He stands up walks over to me and asks me. "Hey Ron, Are we still friends?"

I told of course we where, you just can't talk about my partner like that.....

After the game he was outside the exit to the locker....He said "I can't believe you called a T on me". with a smile on his face......then he said...."I know you need to stick up for your partner."

He and I actually have a good relationship.......whenever he sees me off the court he makes a point of saying hello......so folks there you go....Not all coaches are D***heads..........
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:14pm
In Memoriam

Ron Pilo,
You sneaked back in here rather quietly.
Nice to see you.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Ron Pilo]I T'd a coach once for tell me my partner was terrible.......

About 5 minutes later I am standing in front of his bench during freethrows. He stands up walks over to me and asks me. "Hey Ron, Are we still friends?"

I must be missing something. He gets penalized and then gets up to have a conversation after losing the coaching box. WOW!! I must totally misunderstand Rule 10-5.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilo
I T'd a coach once for tell me my partner was terrible.......

I must be missing something. He gets penalized and then gets up to have a conversation after losing the coaching box. WOW!! I must totally misunderstand Rule 10-5.
The coach stood up to essentially apologize and you want to give him his second T?

I agree. There is something you don't understand.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Dan_ref]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

The coach stood up to essentially apologize and you want to give him his second T?

I agree. There is something you don't understand.
I don't believe an apology was stated. 10-5 DOES NOT cover apologies. He can apologize during a time-out if it's that important or after the game.
I am not going to let a coach speak about my partner (s) in a unfavorable fashion and then attempt to smooth it over after realizing he/she is wrong.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:36am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I don't believe an apology was stated. 10-5 DOES NOT cover apologies. He can apologize during a time-out if it's that important or after the game.
I am not going to let a coach speak about my partner (s) in a unfavorable fashion and then attempt to smooth it over after realizing he/she is wrong.
You already took care of the problem with the "T". The coach wants to forgive and forget. Instead, you're hell bent on creating a brand new problem.

Not a good idea, Rook, not a good idea at all. As Dan_ref said, you don't understand the dynamics of the situation.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
You already took care of the problem with the "T". The coach wants to forgive and forget. Instead, you're hell bent on creating a brand new problem.

Not a good idea, Rook, not a good idea at all. As Dan_ref said, you don't understand the dynamics of the situation.
I understand the dynamics of the situation very clearly. JMO, the apology can wait tell the end of the game or a time-out.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

why -- i would rather get the apology during the game because it means more.

you need thicker skin than that otherwise it doesnt matter how well you call a game you will hit a wall harder than those 2 melons on pamela anderson she calls "those things that hold up my tops"
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I can only do one thing at a time. His apology may break my concentration like those too melons pamela anderson has.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
TruRookie

I guess you needed to be there! He and I have a lot of mutual respect for each other....He knew he was wrong. If he got up to give me a hard time the I have a T, But I guess like I said you needed to be there in the moment.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ron, I knew that I just wanted to be a REBEL!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

you mentioned at that school it is known that warnings just escalate the problem. I think in a case like that, get the warnings over with in the first minute of the game if you have to, or at least have a quick warning for the slightest "distraction" by the coach, as opposed to a quick T. So that later you can get to the T and the warnings will have already been taken care of.