The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Would appreciate some thoughts on this one.

Team A [White]calls 60-second TO--we go thru all the appropriate mechanics granting the TO and reporting to Table and signaling the start of the timer. [It will be team A's ball for throw-in]

Timer sounds horn at the 45 second mark--we step to team huddles and announce first horn let's bring them out coach.

Team B [Blue] breaks huddle in a couple of seconds and takes their positions and gets ready for play--Team A coach continues to huddle and "coach" his team..

Timer sounds second horn--we go to Team A and say second horn let's go White bring them out!

Coach A turns to us and yells "we called a 60-second time out and we're going to use the full 60-seconds"..it probably ended up with more like a 75-second time out by the time we got the ball back in play.

Side bar: we had discussed the horn situation at the captains/coaches meeting before the game and stated "first horn means break the huddle and second horn means we're ready to play, okay" and got a sure, fine answer from both coaches.

I know we can make sure Team B is on floor and ready, sound the whistle to signify ready to play, then put the ball on the floor and start the 5-second count. If they don't have ball in-bounds by end of 5-seconds, then Violation and give to Team B at the spot..

How about some suggestions on:
1] additional emphasis during captains/coaches meeting;
2] warning the first time;
3] comments for the coach regarding end of time out.
4] do we wait for first horn, the a couple of seconds later sound a couple of short blasts on the whistle, then have second horn, then a couple of seconds later a longer blast on the whistle and place the ball on the floor?

I want to be crystal clear on the resumption of play and the length of time outs and would like some advice from the "vets" out here on the forum.

Thanks

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you use the RPP, then use it early in the game. All you have to do is use it once and they will get the message. I must say that you should try to avoid doing that at all costs. When the first horn sounds you need to inform the coaches that we are starting when the second horn sounds. Now you do not want to nitpick this, but you have ever right under the rules to use it. I would just be very proactive in trying to prevent that. Usually it takes a short word with a coach so they understand. But they are supposed to be out of the huddle by the second horn. If I have one team completely ready all the time and their opponent is stuck in the huddle, I might be more inclined to use the RPP.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Coach A turns to us and yells "we called a 60-second time out and we're going to use the full 60-seconds"..it probably ended up with more like a 75-second time out by the time we got the ball back in play.
If I'm reffing, this would be my cue to put the ball on the floor. If coach thought the timer started counting prematurely, he should have asked an assistant to talk to you about it right at the beginning of the time-out. Or even said something at the first horn. He's being fractious, and it would not be out of line at all to give him exactly what he asked for -- he's already used his full 60, and now it's time to start. Be sure your partner is on the same page. Use some intense eye contact, or huddle if convenient.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

This coach just beat you! He manipulated a longer time out than necessary, no that he has you for that one what can I get away with next are his thoughts!...

You gave them the 1st warning at the horn and he smarted off... The second horn goes off and you are ready for play.

Blow you whistle! Tell them "Lets go, Let's Play!" loudly. I would do it from across the floor so the whole gym can hear me. If they have not broken ,the huddle blow the whistle again and put it on the floor.

Hes not in the NBA or NCAA if he needs a longer time out he can call another one.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

If the time out was handled properly (in my opinion) from the start, the coach would have no ground to stand on. I am not saying it wasn't handled properly but this is how do it.

When I acknowledge a request for a time out, I am not in a hurry. I generally give each team time to return to their bench (reasonable time without undue delay). Report the time out and at the end of my report I indicate "start-time". I do this the same for full or 30. By doing this, the coach has clearly his full time and has no room to protest.

I would also avoid placing the ball in play if a team does not come out if prudent but, I wouldn't hesitate to do so if their isn't some effort on the part of the team in the huddle to break. A word or warning. In some gyms, it gets loud when the band is playing (but only during full time outs) and the crowd is cheering and the horn may be less than desirable. Take the extra effort to make sure you know the coaches have heard the horn, you've announced the first horn to them and even give a couple quick whistle blast to bring them out. If none of that is effective, put the ball in play.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
If I'm reffing, this would be my cue to put the ball on the floor. If coach thought the timer started counting prematurely, he should have asked an assistant to talk to you about it right at the beginning of the time-out. Or even said something at the first horn. He's being fractious, and it would not be out of line at all to give him exactly what he asked for -- he's already used his full 60, and now it's time to start. Be sure your partner is on the same page. Use some intense eye contact, or huddle if convenient.
Agreed.
"Coach, 60 seconds are up. We're starting."
RPP. Normally, I'll give them leeway if they're moving. However, if he pops off at me like that after the 2nd horn, the TO is over and I'm moving on with the game.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I will often mention this in the coaches conference prior to the game and the captain's conference as well. Once I've done that, no one has any argument as to why I used the RPP if they are not ready to play at the second horn.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 02:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Agreed.
"Coach, 60 seconds are up. We're starting."
RPP. Normally, I'll give them leeway if they're moving. However, if he pops off at me like that after the 2nd horn, the TO is over and I'm moving on with the game.
I can't remember ever putting the ball on the floor in a varsity game, but with a comment like that I woldn't be able to get it on the floor soon enough. The resulting comment would likely result in a technical.