The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:49am
MABO Member

Confronted by Coach after the game

Well I finally had to report a coach last night. I T'd one of his players for contantly complaining about a call and he questioned me on the call. I explained there was no place for constant objections to our calls and then he challenged me calling my calls weak. So i said (as I walked away) If this continues Coach I can call another! No problems for the rest of the game, I might also add. I can admit that perhaps the T was a little weak and we could have gotten away with a warning. History has been that warnings don't work at this school, they just escalate the complaints.

After the game I exited the change room and there is the coach waiting for me. He starts in again about the call saying he talked to the player and the player said it was BS as well. I kept walking past him and said "Ok thanks Coach" and never even looked him in the eye. I kept walking right out the door as he said That explains it all and something like we'll see about this.
I called my assignor immediately when I got home to let him know about the confrontation after the game.

One thing I don't like is the Coach was waiting for me and also he would not let it drop after.

Question is, Faced with a situation like this, Does anyone have any other suggestions

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:53am
PYRef

I think you did the right thing. Obviously, this guy's mind wasn't going to be changed and he was probably just looking for you to admit it was a weak call.
Better to keep walking than give him some ammunition against you the next time you work one of their games.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Contacting the assignor was the correct thing to do. If your situation is anything like ours, the assignor meets with all the ADs in the conference once a month to address problems. This would be on the agenda.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I explained there was no place for constant objections to our calls and then he challenged me calling my calls weak. So i said (as I walked away) If this continues Coach I can call another!

Question is, Faced with a situation like this, Does anyone have any other suggestions
Yup, next time give the coach the "T" he deserved when he made the comments about weak calls. That comment is personal and derogatory. That was also the time to stop his nonsense. When you don't accept his challenge, you just foster his impression of you....that he can say what he wants whenever he wants.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you handled things just fine. I'm guessing most of us has been through a coach complaining after a game at an inappropriate time. Luckily mine was at a middle school weekend tournament, but it's still not a good spot to be in.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mine was on the way to the locker room after a freshman boys game. I just told the coach the conversation had no way of being productive, so it was over. He actually accepted that and left.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

what usually works for me in these situations -- I call a T on his/her player and if the coach wants to know why and I tell them and they dont want to accept it thats fine -- but I tell them "any more mention of your lack of liking the T will result in me issuing 1 more."

if they bring up any objection and you hear it (DONT HAVE RABBIT EARS AND LOOK FOR IT) but if they do -- hit them with a T. To me it is easy afteri telll a coach you do X and Y will happen and then they do X and expect me to forget Y.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Davism #3:

"Coach, I'd love to discuss this with you but I left my English/Jibberish dictionary at home."
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:17pm
MABO Member

I just got a final email from my assignor. He said 2 other officials have had issue with this particular Coach in the past 2 weeks. One went so far as to stand up for himself and supposedly ended up calling the coach a name. You know sticks and stones....
Official is reprimanded and placed on probation (or something like that), Coach gets to continue being a "DICKHEAD"

NOT FAIR!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Two things -
One it looks like you did the right thing Whack him and move on -
Call the assignor/supervisor and explain. that is the end of it.

Two where were your partners when you were leaving? We always leave as a crew to avoid individual instances like this. So there is always a witness to confirm what happened and /or run interference so these things do not escalate.

To the official on Probation or whatever keep you damn mouth shut and do not stoop to the level of the coach - he win's.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I finally had to report a coach last night. I T'd one of his players for contantly complaining about a call and he questioned me on the call. I explained there was no place for constant objections to our calls and then he challenged me calling my calls weak. So i said (as I walked away) If this continues Coach I can call another! No problems for the rest of the game, I might also add. I can admit that perhaps the T was a little weak and we could have gotten away with a warning. History has been that warnings don't work at this school, they just escalate the complaints.

After the game I exited the change room and there is the coach waiting for me. He starts in again about the call saying he talked to the player and the player said it was BS as well. I kept walking past him and said "Ok thanks Coach" and never even looked him in the eye. I kept walking right out the door as he said That explains it all and something like we'll see about this.
I called my assignor immediately when I got home to let him know about the confrontation after the game.

One thing I don't like is the Coach was waiting for me and also he would not let it drop after.

Where was your partner? Did you guys leave together?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:02pm

Quote:

Keep walking like what you did. Best not to engage in any discussions at this point in time because you know you can't win that discussion. Another thing I make a point about in all the leagues I work and assign. Officials should always exit the building together. This is extremely important and I think you just got a taste of it. You should never exit the building by yourself. I don't care what level.

This past summer, after finishing a game on the road. I had asked my partner to walk out with me to my car because it had been a bad game. There was a car load of men (4-deep) waiting for me outside. One of the guys had picked up 2 technicals and I had to eject him. He took it personal. We eyeball each other in the parking lot. If it wasn't for my partner being there, I don't think I would be here talking with you today.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

our luck....

lol jk
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:50pm
MABO Member

Ok, Ok Don't HyJack the thread picking on poor Old School.

I thought my partner was right with me as we left but it turns out he stoped for some needed relief. We only work 2 to a crew for regular season and then 3 man for Provincial AAAA tournament.

Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I just got a final email from my assignor. He said 2 other officials have had issue with this particular Coach in the past 2 weeks. One went so far as to stand up for himself and supposedly ended up calling the coach a name. You know sticks and stones....
Official is reprimanded and placed on probation (or something like that), Coach gets to continue being a "DICKHEAD"

NOT FAIR!
If someone just rationally and cooly tossed the coach with 2 "T"s for acting like a dickhead, would the assignor have any kind of a problem with that?