The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

What would you do or say?

Partner is lead, calls travel on A1 in the lane. Team A coach goes nuts, and yells to partner- "How is that a walk?"

Partner: "He took three steps coach"

I get in position on opposite end of court as new lead, right next to team A bench. Partner is new trail on other end, administering throw-in.

Coach turns to me, "How can that be a walk"
Answer "He saw him move his pivot foot, coach"

Coach, "Thats BULLS...!" Not loud enough for the crowd to hear (crowd on opposite side of court), but certainly loud enough for the players on the court to hear it...
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnjoe
Coach, "Thats BULLS...!" Not loud enough for the crowd to hear (crowd on opposite side of court), but certainly loud enough for the players on the court to hear it...
Automatic technical foul in high school games. If you don't you're giving him, as well as the oppposing coach, permission to crap all over the officials. It doesn't matter whether it's addressed to you or your partner either. You're a team out there.

Wait a minute......let me amend that a l'il bit. It should be an automatic "T" in high school games. Some officials would never dream of calling it though.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:42am
Patience is important

Profanity has no place in our game. If you hear it from a coach or player, it doesn't matter whether it is directed towards you or your partner.
Automatic Technical Foul.
We have to be more proactive in reducing the amount of unsportsmanlike conduct on the court. Coaches have started getting out of hand and need to be reminded that this kind of conduct is not tolerated.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree. I wouldn't "say" anything. I'd hit my whistle and go report the T.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. That's exactly what I did. It was actually my first T on a coach.

My main reason for posting is exactly what you said. I think he was genuinely surprised that I made the call. As soon as I blew the whistle and signaled the T, I heard someone in the crowd go "It's about time!"

No way this comment was referencing anything that night, as there wasn't borderline behavior from him before that. That told me he may have a habit of unsportsmanlike behavior.

At halftime, partner and I came out a couple minutes early as our room was hotter than ... and adjacent to locker rooms- we could hear everything.

We were standing near entrance to court when team comes out, and coach asks if he can talk to us. We said he could ask us questions. He said he has been confused; this is 3rd travel call this season on same kid; that he has seen tape of other 2 and really doesnt think kid is traveling. We just said it looked like a travel to us and we can't speak to the other calls.

Coach walks away and tells me I need to get thicker skin....
HAHAHA! Again, confirming that he has acted this way before and others have let it go...
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Partner is lead, calls travel on A1 in the lane. Team A coach goes nuts, and yells to partner- "How is that a walk?"

Partner: "He took three steps coach"

I get in position on opposite end of court as new lead, right next to team A bench. Partner is new trail on other end, administering throw-in.

Coach turns to me, "How can that be a walk"
Answer "He saw him move his pivot foot, coach"

Glad you called the 'T'. However, I think you should have ignored the coach's question to you. Your partner had already answered the coach's inquiry. Plus, you gave a different answer than your partner did ("3-steps" v. "moved his pivot foot").

I never answer for why my partner did or didn't do something. If it is something obvious and I would have had the same call or if I had double whistle then I might say "Coach, I saw the same thing", other than that my answer is "I didn't see it, you'll have to ask my partner".
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:31am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Glad you called the 'T'. However, I think you should have ignored the coach's question to you. Your partner had already answered the coach's inquiry. Plus, you gave a different answer than your partner did ("3-steps" v. "moved his pivot foot").

I never answer for why my partner did or didn't do something. If it is something obvious and I would have had the same call or if I had double whistle then I might say "Coach, I saw the same thing", other than that my answer is "I didn't see it, you'll have to ask my partner".
Do I know you? I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:43am

You could have also gave him a warning. Not all responses need to be dealth with so harshly. Coach was a little emotional about the travel, warning sign would have been good here follow also by please do not curse at me again. And if he steps out of line again, he's then seat belted. Though, I have no problem with the technical you gave. I think your skin going to have to get a little tougher too. If you would have tried the warning first, you might have won yourself an ally.

Food for thought....
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Coach was a little emotional about the travel, warning sign would have been good here follow also by please do not curse at me again.
"I'm warning you, Coach, don't curse at me again".

Yeah, right......

That ties for the dumbest post ever made on this forum.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:14am

Though, I have no problem with the technical you gave. I think your skin going to have to get a little tougher too.

Old School-Could you please explain this statement. It seems you are contradicting yourself.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Well to clarify, I didn't hear what my partner told him. At the time, all I knew is that he had complained to my partner. I was walking away from my partner at the time, and did not hear the exchange. It was only at halftime that I learned what was said. Sorry if that was unclear.

When he asked me, I intended to give a matter-of-fact answer. By definition, traveling means he took a step with his pivot foot. My answer was not inconsistent with my partners- given the way the player was driving the lane, the "third step" would have been with his pivot, and what triggered the call.

My answer also signaled to the coach, I think, that he wasn't getting anymore information from me.

I've been taught to answer a coach's question. I wonder what others think about deferring to your partner. Does that put him out there by himself?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
Though, I have no problem with the technical you gave. I think your skin going to have to get a little tougher too.

Old School-Could you please explain this statement. It seems you are contradicting yourself.
Not at all. Accessing a technical or any foul is a judgement call. I was not there so I can not say for sure I would have access a technical here. Depending on how the coach said it, if I know the coach, etc. You know Bobby Knight is screaming and cursing all the time, but officials don't whack him everytime he says a curse word. Growing thick skin means, okay coach, I heard you but I appreciate you not using that type of language. I have given coaches technicals for not cursing at all but the demeanor in which it was said, how much tolerance I'm willing to take that day, and yes, some days are worse than others.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:59am

Quote:
I've been taught to answer a coach's question. I wonder what others think about deferring to your partner. Does that put him out there by himself?
You don't have to answer every coaches question. If I can't think of an answer that is quick and answers the question. I don't respond. I might say, I will get back to you on that one but I don't try to answer every single question. I don't try to answer my partners calls either unless I have definite knowledge. In other words, some calls, you got to ask the calling official. If I got the same call my partner has and I'm closes to the coach, I will support and re-enforce that that was the right call to the coach.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

OS- Maybe YOU don't have to answer their questions. In my association, we are expected to talk to coaches and answer their questions. There is no use debating this, as this is the CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS expectation if I want to continue to work games, and ever advance.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I gotta agree. I wouldn't "say" anything. I'd hit my whistle and go report the T.
I agree completely. Letting this kind of behavior go only makes it get worse.