The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

A1 scores a basket off a fastbreak play. B1 is hustling behind and can't catch up in time ... as the ball comes through the hoop and to the floor, B1 kicks the ball into the wall in an attempt to pick it up. The wall is close and is kicking motion was clear to the official that it was his effort to pick it up. He ctaches the ball as it rebounds off the wall and turns quickly to throw in.

Now, I was asked what I would do in this situation, but am curious to what you all say.

My thought was to tell/warn B1 not to do that again or call a delay of game warning on Team B.

The asking official said: Is this not intenionally striking the ball with foot or leg and should this be called a violation and ball awarded back to Team A?

I ask you all ...

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 12:20am.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
A1 scores a basket off a fastbreak play. B1 is hustling behind and can't catch up in time ... as the ball comes through the hoop and to the floor, B1 kicks the ball into the wall in an attempt to pick it up. The wall is close and is kicking motion was clear to the official that it was his effort to pick it up. He ctaches the ball as it rebounds off the wall and turns quickly to throw in.

Now, I was asked what I would do hear, but am curious to what you all say.

My thought was to tell/warn B1 not to do that again or call a delay of game warning on Team B.

The asking official said: Is this not intenionally striking the ball with foot or leg and should this be called a violation and ball awarded back to Team A?

I ask you all ...
1. A violation cannot be committed during a dead ball. If the official deems that the ball was still dead following the goal and not yet at the disposal of Team B, then there can be no violation for kicking the ball.

2. Unless it was an unsporting act, I would likely ignore it. I wouldn't even warn the player. Then again I also ref soccer.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing from me.

It's like slamming the ball to the floor. As long as he catches it when it bounces, I've got nothing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:12am
(Something hilarious)

As long as no deception is involved, no violation. 9.2.2.A
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, I was asked what I would do hear, but am curious to what you all say.
h-e-r-e
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Would you believe I am a writer and that's what I do for a career. I guess that's why we have editors. Let me guess Whistles & Stripes - you are an editor?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you believe I am a writer and that's what I do for a career. I guess that's why we have editors. Let me guess Whistles & Stripes - you are an editor?
No, I would not believe that, and no, I am not an editor. However, my sophomore English teacher in high hchool used to tell me what a good writer I was when I applied myself.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Nothing...like the others have said.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Well, it's true. I am a writer and have a journalism degree from Iowa State University. Thanks for pointing out my mistakes.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, it's true. I am a writer and have a journalism degree from Iowa State University. Thanks for pointing out my mistakes.
Don't take it personal.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Don't take it personally.

Main Entry: per·son·al·ly
Pronunciation: 'p&rs-n&-lE, 'p&r-s&-n&-
Function: adverb
1 : in person [attend to the matter personally]
2 : as a person : in personality [personally attractive but not very trustworthy]
3 : for oneself : as far as oneself is concerned [personally, I don't want to go]
4 : in a personal manner [don't take this personally]
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good Lord! How many former Ames residends post on this board, anyway?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 04:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Good Lord! How many former Ames residends post on this board, anyway?
Too many...
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1. A violation cannot be committed during a dead ball.
Not so sure I agree with this. The ball may be dead but the clock is still running after a made basket. Technically, I would not call anything on this, but maybe warn the player later not to that again. However, one thing you can do is once the ball is kicked, start your 5 second count. That way if the ball doesn't bounce back directly to the player, and he has to run somewhere to retrieve it and then inbound it. 5 second violation, team A ball.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Now, I was asked what I would do in this situation, but am curious to what you all say.

Why would you have considered giving a "delay of game" warning? Didn't he speed the game up by kicking the ball against the wall?

This thread reminds me of a Rec League play I had a couple years ago:

Team A is running their offense in the front court (I know, in Rec ball this is either an oxymoron or a conumdrum). A2 throws a pass back to A1 who is unguarded near mid-court. A1 drops the ball and it rolls slowly into the backcourt. A1 chases the ball into the backcourt but doesn't touch it. When the ball is 1/2 way between the half-court circle and the 3-point line B1 & B2 finally catch up and converge on the ball. Just as B1 goes to reach for the ball A1 kicks the ball very hard and it sails OOB towards B's basket.

Of course I call a ....... wait... here it comes....gee, I forget if I called a 'kicked ball' or a 'b/c violation'. Either way Team B is screaming for me to call a technical foul. For amusement sake I ask why. Someone says "because he intentionally kicked the ball", so I say "but kicking the ball is a only a violation" and they respond "it should be a tech because he kicked it so hard". I could only laugh at that argument. What's really bad for Team B is that they lost by 1-point on a 3-pointer at the buzzer from halfcourt and I had clock responsibilities for the play. They really didn't like me then.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 09:37am.