Originally posted by Oz Referee
HEAR HEAR!!

Great call!
Old Fri Oct 19, 2001, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Question That close, ay?

Quote:
Originally posted by ballsandstrikes
I guess I should have pointed out that at least one of the times it occured she was directly to the side of the girl as she was taking a layup. The shooter grabbed her ear in obvious discomfort.
b&s,
Directly in her ear? Then I would've warned immediately and absolutely.
I wonder. If she was that close, why didn't she take the ball? Hmmmm.
mick
Old Fri Oct 19, 2001, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

She did take the ball. lol out of bounds after the girl finished the layup. She was not only a slow defender but a slow screamer.
I spoke to my assignor about 1/2 hour ago. He said he has no problem with it. He knows me enough to know that I average one T about every 2 years so if I gave it, I must have had a very good reason. Of course he picked on me that 5 in 9 years was not good enough. I had to get at least one a year or I would be booted from the refs union lol.

[Edited by ballsandstrikes on Oct 19th, 2001 at 01:18 PM]
Old Fri Oct 19, 2001, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

B&S, I'll tell you that I don't like this type of conduct anymore than you do. But I have to agree with the others, you can't T this. You might try to bluff your way with the coach or appeal to his sportsmanship, but that's about it.

Had a situation last year where a player walked over to the opposing team's bench during a FT. The coach was trying to talk to his PG and the opponent was trying to get an earful. Although I didn't like it, there wasn't anything I could do about it.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 20th, 2001 at 11:47 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Oct 19, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Had a situation last year where a player walked over to the opposing team's bench during a TO. The coach was trying to talk to his PG and the opponent was trying to get an earful. Although I didn't like it, there wasn't anything I could do about it.
I'd use the "within the confines of the bench area" phrase of 5-12-5 to prohibit this during a TO (and, I recognize that there's a dollop if 2-3 in that interpretation). If it was during a FT, then I'd allow it .
Old Fri Oct 19, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Screaming at the free thrower is ...

... disconcertion. We can assume the charge is against the defense, so if the shot misses, we shoot again.

Field goals are a different issue. I hate the screaming but ignore it. I probably would act on screaming right in someone's ear based on safety.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee

Having said this, I would like to make 2 points:
* Firstly, I have been taught to call this, according to FIBA rules, so until an evaluator tells me not to, I am going to continue blowing it as I stated in my previous post.
Duane
If you look at the World Technical Commission document for March 2001 you will see this situation shown as an example of a Technical Foul by a player.

Prior to this you had to use the unsportsmanlike provisions in the rules but as there was no clear interpretation it was almost impossible to get referees to do anything about it. The "If it isn't in black and white mentality" without any real appreciation for the spirit of the game. As far as I am concerned the example can be extended to any other action verbal or physical that attempts to do the same thing. If you are not good enough on defense then do not cheat.

I have always been of the opinion that most coaches and players have no respect for the game itself. Officials do!!!!
Old Sat Oct 20, 2001, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Had a situation last year where a player walked over to the opposing team's bench during a TO. The coach was trying to talk to his PG and the opponent was trying to get an earful. Although I didn't like it, there wasn't anything I could do about it.
I'd use the "within the confines of the bench area" phrase of 5-12-5 to prohibit this during a TO (and, I recognize that there's a dollop if 2-3 in that interpretation). If it was during a FT, then I'd allow it .
My bad, Bob. It was during a FT, not a TO. I didn't hear it but the player compalined to me that the coach told her to "Get your *** away from here."

I replied, "Sounds like good advice to me."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

This would never happen three times in my game.
If it was as loud and shrilly as you say it was, I will apply disoncertion principles and award another shot with a warning that if continued, it will be a flagrant unsportamanlike T. If for some reason the shooter made it, I'd be talking to player and her coach. I would be very clear that this kind of behavior is not tolerated and will be enforced by a flagrant unsportsmanlike T because it is not acceptable and making a mockery of the game.

Next time it happens, T the player is now ejected from the game, and would sit out the next week as well ( at least where I live) and if I heard the coach encouraging it, he would find himself leaving the gym.

Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Screaming at the free thrower is ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
... disconcertion. We can assume the charge is against the defense, so if the shot misses, we shoot again.

Field goals are a different issue. I hate the screaming but ignore it. I probably would act on screaming right in someone's ear based on safety.
I agree with this one. I believe that disconcertion is a POE this year, and I certainly think this qualifies. Of course, I suppose if it's done repeatedly you could argue the T for safety sake, but it'd be a tough call. I'd just keep re-shootin' 'em!
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

What is the call if players on B's bench scream at the foul shooter during the attempt,and the shot is missed?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

The answer, according to the state rules guys who taught the association rules clinic this year.... this is nothing. No disconcertion on the bench.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
The answer, according to the state rules guys who taught the association rules clinic this year.... this is nothing. No disconcertion on the bench.
Really? Why not? Rule 9-1-5 says that "no opponent shall disconcert the free thrower". It doesn't say opposing "player". An opponent is anybody on the "other" bench. It seems to me that you could have disconcertion on a substitute or even a coach.

Chuck
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
What is the call if players on B's bench scream at the foul shooter during the attempt,and the shot is missed?
JR,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found the way.

What's the call? It's our call. We adjudge.
  • Disconcertion > another throw
  • Unsporting > a technical

Personally, I'll warn before I penalize.
    mick
    Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 02:12pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by parkssa
    Really? Why not? Rule 9-1-5 says that "no opponent shall disconcert the free thrower". It doesn't say opposing "player". An opponent is anybody on the "other" bench. It seems to me that you could have disconcertion on a substitute or even a coach.

Chuck
    I can't give you a better answer than what I wrote. Because of the conversation on this board and others, I specifically asked the question. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the answer I received.