The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Net Hung Up (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30645-net-hung-up.html)

Nevadaref Fri Jan 05, 2007 06:19pm

I see that you took your funny pills today, JR. :D That's nice.

26 Year Gap Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:23pm

I'm surprised that nobody suggested that you do NOT jump up and try to fix it yourself. I assume you already knew that.

ChrisSportsFan Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I'm surprised that nobody suggested that you do NOT jump up and try to fix it yourself. I assume you already knew that.

That's one way to quickly lose all the cool points you thought you might-a had.

refnrev Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
O' irony of ironies! Rut is quoting an old ruling by the NFHS which is not in a current book. :D

PS Whatever was put out if it was by the NFHS, I believe it was a lot more than two years ago. Perhaps what you saw came from the IHSA.

Nope, I don't think this was just an IHSA thing. But it must have been a long time back because I don't remember it in the last 8-9 years. Was it before that Rut? Nevada, as for your immediate stoppage, you're going to stop a fast break by the opponents to fix a net. I don't think so. Just wait for a dead ball then take care of it if it hasn't been taken care of by a shot.

refnrev Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58pm

Quote:

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 06, 2007 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev

Nope, I don't think this was just an IHSA thing. But it must have been a long time back because I don't remember it in the last 8-9 years. Was it before that Rut?

There was an actual case play at one time iirc. And it did say to wait for a play stoppage to fix the net. Like many case plays, it simply disappeared with no comment.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 06, 2007 05:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Nevada, as for your immediate stoppage, you're going to stop a fast break by the opponents to fix a net. I don't think so. Just wait for a dead ball then take care of it if it hasn't been taken care of by a shot.

What fast break? :confused:
Don't we have a dead ball on the goal that was scored which caused the net to get hung up? :confused:

I'm taking care of this right away during that dead ball.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 06, 2007 07:32am

Quote:

Don't we have a dead ball on the goal that was scored which caused the net to get hung up? :confused:

If a player <b>immediately</b> grabs the ball coming out of the basket before it touches the floor and <b>immediately</b> steps OOB and <b>immediately</b> turns to throw the quick outlet pass, you're still gonna blow your whistle, Nevada? Even though that "dead ball" lasted less than a second? Even though you're probably not completely sure in that little space of time that the net will still stay up there?

Somehow, that doesn't really surprise me.

observer Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:00am

My thoughts are you do not stop play to fix the net.
It shall remain in that position until cleared by some other
method, another basket, player pulling down, etc.
For those of you that DO stop play, will you allow a sub
sitting at the table in the game?

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by observer
For those of you that DO stop play, will you allow a sub
sitting at the table in the game?

If the game is stopped, substitution is allowed.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
The answer is your number 1.

Rule and/or mechanics reference, please. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...es/redflag.gif

refnrev Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:36am

Quote:

Most of the time I see that the thing is hung up is after the play had already restarted. I don't look at the net after each shot. I'm watching the players, inbounds play, or breaking to my spot. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who will yell about the net if we don't see it.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:52am

Quote:

Why didn't scrapper suggest that? http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...s/blueevil.gif

Rich Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:56am

Hadn't happened to me all season. Then I saw this thread yesterday.

It happened twice last night, once on a two-handed dunk.

We killed it both times.

For me it depends on the situation. If the new offense is grabbing the ball from the net and looking to push it, I'll let it go. If not, I'll kill it.

mplagrow Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Heck no!! I miss him a lot around here, things just are too tall without him, but I understand his reasons for going "into hiding" and I certainly don't want to interfere with those!!

And for the record, I agree with him. But I don't want to argue about it. So I took the easy way out.

Not to be nosy, but are his reasons public knowledge? If so, why is he "in hiding?" Just curious.