The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   hand checking (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30521-hand-checking.html)

snow54 Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:10pm

hand checking

What is the rule in HS Ball as to hand checking? I've watch some games where it has been allowed and other games where you can't even touch another player without a foul being called??

Mountaineer Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow54
What is the rule in HS Ball as to hand checking? I've watch some games where it has been allowed and other games where you can't even touch another player without a foul being called??

Rule or Interpretation? You can read the rule in the rule book. As for how people call it - everyone is different. I allow the defensive player to use the hand to find the offensive player - but they can't use it to guide them (can't keep it there). Also, two hands is an automatic whistle. Again, that's the way I call it.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19pm

I think of it kind of like a "yield sign" in traffic. If the hand impedes the ball handler or causes him to change speed or direction, it's a foul.

Mountaineer Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I think of it kind of like a "yield sign" in traffic. If the hand impedes the ball handler or causes him to change speed or direction, it's a foul.

I agree and I always try to talk the hand down. Kinda like 3 seconds (whatever that is) - if you talk to them it helps. That is, if they leave it there beyond the "finding" of the player. Hands off guys!

Adam Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53pm

Why do they need a hand to find the player? Their eyes should be sufficient.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:01am

WHat if they're playing with their eyes closed, like this:

http://www.rcl.lu/images/senior/Blind-man.jpg

Adam Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

I know people who ref like that. With the eyes closed, I mean. :D

Jimgolf Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22am

That's just wrong.

TG they ran out of linoleum.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 30, 2006 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I allow the defensive player to use the hand <font color = red>to find the offensive player</font>- but they can't use it to guide them (can't keep it there).

The NFHS has stated at <b>least</b> a dozen times in POE's over the years that the defender is gaining an illegal advantage by using that tactic, and it should be called. If they put a hand on and immediately take it off with no displacement <b>after</b> they have found their opponent, then I'd agree that the action isn't gaining an advantage. Before? They are gaining an advantage simply by finding the opponent.

wfd21 Sat Dec 30, 2006 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

http://www.rcl.lu/images/senior/Blind-man.jpg

This guy looks familiar & he needs a pair of fish nets!

BktBallRef Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:49am

This guy needs to go away. No need for such to be posted.

One thing's for sure...makes you wonder what types of websites Whistles & Stripes normally visits.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfd21
This guy looks familiar & he needs a pair of fish nets!

Yeah - but he is hiding an illegal logo. :p

BillyMac Sat Dec 30, 2006 01:53pm

PreGame Hand-Checking

Got this from a Forum member last year as part of a pregame conference:

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Let’s not let a defender ride the dribbler as the ball is coming from backcourt to frontcourt.
Remember SBQ. If the dribbler’s Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.

I may have done some editing on it. It's been helpful to me.

btaylor64 Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Got this from a Forum member last year as part of a pregame conference:

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Let’s not let a defender ride the dribbler as the ball is coming from backcourt to frontcourt.
Remember SBQ. If the dribbler’s Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.

I may have done some editing on it. It's been helpful to me.

You mean RSBQ. Rhythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness. It was a term developed by NBA personnel

Scrapper1 Sun Dec 31, 2006 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64
You mean RSBQ. Rhythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness.

I know you're just trying to be complete and accurate, but the "Rhythm" part of the equation was an addition after "SBQ" first started circulating. So Billy's comments may just not have been updated. I attended at camp in '03 where NBA personnel taught us about "SBQ". The next year, the same thing was taught (by the same people) as RSBQ. Personally, I think the "R" is redundant.