The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Making the Call with Ronnie Nunn

Just wondering how many have seen the Referee show on NBA-TV? They've expanded the You Make the Call segment to a full-fledged TV show called Making the Call with Ronnie Nunn.

In last night's show they reviewed the two controversial non-calls from the night before, in the Nets game and in the Bulls game. Nunn explained why the officials blew the call in the Nets game but made the right non-call in the Bulls game, showing how an official got straight-lined on the call because he didn't move into the right position, while showing how in the Bulls game the official had a good view of the last second play.

Best segment was one ripping the announcers at a 76ers game for complaining about a foul against Ricky Davis, saying he wasn't in the act of shooting, when he had already gathered for the shot.

Very entertaining, but I wonder if it can survive as 30-minute show long term. How many people really care about the rules?

If you don't get NBA-TV, you might be able to view the show at http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure the officials involved with the "blown" calls just love it when they are picked apart on TV by Ronnie Dunn.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:58am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
I'm sure the officials involved with the "blown" calls just love it when they are picked apart on TV by Ronnie Dunn.
That is the nature of the beast. They might have had to write a check for the missed plays. What would you do if your boss ripped you on TV? Would you quit?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
That is the nature of the beast. They might have had to write a check for the missed plays. What would you do if your boss ripped you on TV? Would you quit?

The NFL and NCAA (Basketball/Football) Conference come out all the time in the media and acknowledge there was a mistake made it games. Why should the NBA be any different?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

The one positive thing to come out of this is that the announcers on NBA-TV are getting an education. When they first started the "You Make the Call" segment, they were usually guessing the answer, and clearly did not know what the officials were looking for. Now they at least use phrases they've heard from Ronnie Nunn, even if they still get the answers wrong, LOL.

Not that you won't still hear "over the back" and "reaching in" from them during the games,
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:29am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
The NFL and NCAA (Basketball/Football) Conference come out all the time in the media and acknowledge there was a mistake made it games. Why should the NBA be any different?
I agree, the NBA shouldn't be any different.