The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Well Does he?

Speaking about Dwyane Wade, Shaq's new partner in crime and last year's NBA Finals MVP, Phil Jackson said, "He travels on that spin move. He picks up that pivot foot … everybody knows it. Dwyane Wade can cover so much ground when he makes that move. As you know, he can go 20 feet with that spin move and get to the basket."
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Of course he does!! Most stars do.

To paraphrase an NBA official who I have spoken to on the matter, "People are paying hundreds of dollars to go see an NBA game. Do you think they would rather see Shaq run over somebody and dunk the ball, or do you think they want to see him sitting on the bench all game in foul trouble?"

The rules are bent differently for stars, period. It's why the NBA is less basketball and more entertainment. It's FAAAAAAAAANTASTIC!!! Remember?
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 04:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51
Phil Jackson said, "He travels on that spin move. He picks up that pivot foot "
Since when is it a travel to pick up the pivot foot during a spin move?

You're looking to Phil Jackson for officiating information? Get real.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Since when is it a travel to pick up the pivot foot during a spin move?

If he picks it up before starting the dribble, it's a travel. Of course, Jordan never traveled, and Kobe never travels.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 05:29pm

One of Magic's best highlights, they used to show over and over. Haven't seen it much lately. That famous spin move took him 3 steps to do. The end result was a great play but, he travel...
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's as good a source as anyone. The NBA officiating is a joke. All Wade has to do is think about going to the basket, even while he's in the dressing room, and the officials call a foul on whoever's within a mile of him.

Its sickening.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 06:17pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
That famous spin move took him 3 steps to do. The end result was a great play but, he travel...
The sad part is, young kids watch this on tv and don't understand why it is a violation when they reproduce the same move. Earlier this year I heard one from a coach that I liked. (how often does that happen?) Boys 8th grade point guard, good, smooth player, a pleasure to watch, BUT he made the above-mentioned pivot 1-2-3 move down the lane a couple of times. Easy call. The second time his coach yelled at him, "Hey! (shakes his head, points at me) He ain't gonna go for that!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

re

If the NBA officiating is such a joke, how come everytime I go to a Bulls game and sit close I rarely hear one word said to the officials. Then I go to a high school varsity girls game and the crowd is screaming at the officials from the first decision made after the jump ball
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 09:26pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
He's as good a source as anyone. The NBA officiating is a joke.
This comment is absolutely ridiculous.

1) Phil Jackson knows almost nothing about NBA officiating, besides the names of the officials assigned to his games. He has no officiating ties to the league, nor any rules background. He is simply NOT as good a source as anyone. He has no basis for anything that he says about the quality of officiating in the league, period.

2) Phil is famous for complaining about the officiating in order to get a perceived edge in the next matchup against a given team. That's what he does. He goes to the media after a playoff game and says the officials aren't doing this or calling that. That doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

3) I don't know your officiating background or experience, but I suspect that you don't have any real basis for saying that NBA officiating is a joke, either. NBA games are officiated the way the NBA wants them officiated. If the officials don't perform the way the NBA wants them to, they are removed from the roster. It's that simple. So their officiating is what they want it to be. If you don't like the style of the game or the guidelines that the NBA gives its officials, that's one thing. But to say that the officiating is a joke is in itself a joke. JMHO.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So their officiating is what they want it to be.
I don't disagree with this. But read my statement again: I said the "NBA officiating." I didn't say the officials nor did I single one out. I meant exactly what you described: the way the NBA wants their so-called game officiated.

I stand by my statement. I agree that Phil whines and complains a lot. I have a hard time believing you've never heard of a coach complaining about officiating before. If your point is that coaches are going to complain and any such complaints shouldn't be taken as the gospel truth, yes, I'd agree with that statement. My point was that anyone with even a passive knowledge of the game (and that includes Phil) can see the NBA officiating is a joke.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I watched about 1 quarter of the game yesterday. Although MOST spin oves in the NBA are traveling violations, one I saw Wade do yesterday was NOT traveling. He split a double team on a drive, spun and hit a sweet layup. I backed it up three times and watched. It was a sweet and legal move.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
My point was that anyone with even a passive knowledge of the game (and that includes Phil) can see the NBA officiating is a joke.
That statement has as much validity as saying, "Anyone who thinks NBA officiating is a joke is a joke himself." Hmmmm?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51
If the NBA officiating is such a joke, how come everytime I go to a Bulls game and sit close I rarely hear one word said to the officials. Then I go to a high school varsity girls game and the crowd is screaming at the officials from the first decision made after the jump ball
Cause the statistics have shown that NBA officials get over 90% of their plays right night in and night out, whereas I'm sure, on a good night, HS officials get 85% of their plays right, myself included.

Their is not a "stars" treatment in the NBA and those who believe it are just stupid, but it can be better explained from a guy who is now in the NBA himself so I refer you to this thread:

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...2610#post32610
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
My point was that anyone with even a passive knowledge of the game (and that includes Phil) can see the NBA officiating is a joke.
Your point has no basis in fact whatsoever.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...The NBA officiating is a joke...
Quote:
...but I suspect that you don't have any real basis for saying that NBA officiating is a joke, either.
I know what his basis is: Miami Heat 4 - Dallas Mavericks 2