The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

throwing an Item on the court and missing my Partner

I posted a thread last week about a Fan boy/Parent not being happy with a call that my partner made. They were up by 40 points and threw an item and landed about a foot from my partner. I had explained the 3 officials met center court all decided to eject the person. Well a week later after the incident, My assignor gets an email indicating that the school doesn't want to see me for the rest of the year.

What are my options?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully your association will stick up for you. Depends really on how much control over assigning the association has retained in the contract between them and the school.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I posted a thread last week about a Fan boy/Parent not being happy with a call that my partner made. They were up by 40 points and threw an item and landed about a foot from my partner. I had explained the 3 officials met center court all decided to eject the person. Well a week later after the incident, My assignor gets an email indicating that the school doesn't want to see me for the rest of the year.

What are my options?
Sometimes life is a little unfair. Let it go and move on.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:10pm
Huck Finn

Sometimes too much power is given to coaches, ADs and the schools. I know of at least one assigner who would make sure that school had you on the road at a minimum.
I don't know what the answer to your question is. Sometimes things happen in our officiating careers where we need someone to stand by us. Do you feel like your assigner stood by you on this one?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

well my assignor won't be giving me any games at that school. Funny thing is I saw the email and AD requested home as well as away. I really don't care. with all the violence in stands and on the court. I will continue to give my same level of officiating as I have in the last 7 years.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

And that's why you're a bigger man then the pu$$y that threw the item on the court.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

What are my options?
Did you call your assigner after that game? If so, I agree he should be in your corner.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

if you really want to stick to them tell this story to a local newspaper and see if they would like to lambaste said school.

i have no issue with a team not wanting me there -- usually it is for stupid petty reasons -- never have I heard "I dont want him there because he doesn't know the rules" its always "He screwed us and I dont like him" yeah real great argument there. How did he screw you coach or AD? He called a foul with little time remaining that helped the other team win. What they fail to realize is that 'their' player fouled the other team helping them win. All I did was blow my whistle and call them on it.

On a side note -- last week I had a girls varsity game where with about 3 second left in the half there is a loose ball in the paint and the offense has a hand on the ball and the defense jumps over the side of the her shoulder -- no contact -- and grabs the ball and bagins to slide (with both players having possession as the offensive player now has the ball in one arm) -- I call a jump -- didnt want anything to escalate with 3 seconds left and the offensive player wasnt in the key long enough to warrant a 3 second violation.

Home team gets possession due to the arrow and its pretty much a wasted possession granted.

Wait for the teams to clear for half time and the shot clock operator asks was that a jump ball or violation or foul -- I said you were here when I made the call and you know what it was. He responds that was a horrible call. All I told him was that all I need from him is to work the clock and keep all opinions to himself. He said something else and (methinks hes also game management) so I said one more opinion from you and not only will I replace you but it will cost the home team a T as well. now the clock operator says to me "you dont know who he is" to which I replied "I do know enough that you will be joining him very soon in the stands if you want to keep this convo up"

they b!itched to the HC after half time -- and within about 2 minutes my parnter T's the home coach. Now if this school wanted to black list me -- I would say I have no problem if they can come up with a fair and reasonable excuse for such a request -- even if they couldnt i dont care I just want to hear the reason.

On a side note -- I would normally just replace the table personell should they become a pain in my azz but in the case where the table is also game management i think a T is warranted where they cross the line -- this is different from Ting up a fan who has crossed the line and just eject them. what do you guys think?

--consider this thread jacked--
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

As long as you feel the assignor handled things correctly, don't worry about it. Besides, there are plenty of games around that don't involve places where items are thrown at you. Be glad you don't have to go back.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

May I suggest that your officiating friends in your association discuss boycotting that school. If enough officials take a stand, the AD and coach of that high school will be forced to offer better security. A threat of physical harm to a referee, with what appears to be no repercussion to the offender, is unacceptable. IMO
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
if you really want to stick to them tell this story to a local newspaper and see if they would like to lambaste said school.

i have no issue with a team not wanting me there -- usually it is for stupid petty reasons -- never have I heard "I dont want him there because he doesn't know the rules" its always "He screwed us and I dont like him" yeah real great argument there. How did he screw you coach or AD? He called a foul with little time remaining that helped the other team win. What they fail to realize is that 'their' player fouled the other team helping them win. All I did was blow my whistle and call them on it.

On a side note -- last week I had a girls varsity game where with about 3 second left in the half there is a loose ball in the paint and the offense has a hand on the ball and the defense jumps over the side of the her shoulder -- no contact -- and grabs the ball and bagins to slide (with both players having possession as the offensive player now has the ball in one arm) -- I call a jump -- didnt want anything to escalate with 3 seconds left and the offensive player wasnt in the key long enough to warrant a 3 second violation.

Home team gets possession due to the arrow and its pretty much a wasted possession granted.

Wait for the teams to clear for half time and the shot clock operator asks was that a jump ball or violation or foul -- I said you were here when I made the call and you know what it was. He responds that was a horrible call. All I told him was that all I need from him is to work the clock and keep all opinions to himself. He said something else and (methinks hes also game management) so I said one more opinion from you and not only will I replace you but it will cost the home team a T as well. now the clock operator says to me "you dont know who he is" to which I replied "I do know enough that you will be joining him very soon in the stands if you want to keep this convo up"

they b!itched to the HC after half time -- and within about 2 minutes my parnter T's the home coach. Now if this school wanted to black list me -- I would say I have no problem if they can come up with a fair and reasonable excuse for such a request -- even if they couldnt i dont care I just want to hear the reason.

On a side note -- I would normally just replace the table personell should they become a pain in my azz but in the case where the table is also game management i think a T is warranted where they cross the line -- this is different from Ting up a fan who has crossed the line and just eject them. what do you guys think?

--consider this thread jacked--
My opinion is that you are a dangerous referee, and that is not a compliment. You seem to make things up as you go along. Most of your posts are not useful for anyone. T-ing up the table? Are you kidding me?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you call your assigner after that game? If so, I agree he should be in your corner.
He was at the game and his only comment was" don't be concerned with what is going on in the stands"

And he and I agreed that I should not go to that school. I don't need any additional attacks against me. All I need to do is have a questionable call and all hell will erupt. Plenty of schools to go around..

Tomegun, you are correct,AD and coaches have much to much power and the AD had another issue more serious about another official and did indicate if this matter is not taken care of he will seek his services elsewhere.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was at the game and his only comment was" don't be concerned with what is going on in the stands"
Is there anyone else to work for around there? When something comes flying onto the court it is no longer going on in the stands. Besides that, there are rare occasions when we need to step in and have game management take care of a fan. If an assignor doesn't want unsporting acts like this dealt with, I don't want to work for them.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And he and I agreed that I should not go to that school. I don't need any additional attacks against me. All I need to do is have a questionable call and all hell will erupt. Plenty of schools to go around..

Tomegun, you are correct,AD and coaches have much to much power and the AD had another issue more serious about another official and did indicate if this matter is not taken care of he will seek his services elsewhere.
Something just doesn't seem kosher about this whole thing. Your assignor was at the game and still he doesn't seem to be sticking up for you. Either some part of this story is missing or it just seems all wrong in how it played out.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Something just doesn't seem kosher about this whole thing. Your assignor was at the game and still he doesn't seem to be sticking up for you. Either some part of this story is missing or it just seems all wrong in how it played out.
You read what i wrote. Then that is how it happened. The only issue that I didn't mention was the assignors relationship with the AD which they are tight. The asignor is also on a first name basis with some of the parents and coaches there. Do i need to go any further?