The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Had to do it!!!!

Well, I gave out my first T to a coach last night in a AAA Boys 3 whistle game. He was ranting and raving on every call, especially my partners. He was complaining about everything and then I had a picture perfect PC and I happened to be in the lead when it happend. He shouted that was a terrible call. I let that go, then up and back down the court and said that is worse call I have seen all year. I let that go, then up and back again and he said you are the worse official I have seen in years, I let that go, up and back again and then he said, I cant believe that you even had the balls to make such a stupid call......WHACK!!!!!! Needless to say, it was seatbelt city for him the rest of the night and he didnt say another word. Coaches, you got to luv them!!!!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

He should have been whacked a lot sooner!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:28am
MABO Member

I can't believe you have so much tolerance for that. 1st time maybe he would get a stop sign, second time he would know to stop "whack" and there would be no third time.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I'll let 'em rant a bit. I'll let 'em rave a bit. But if they want to do both on every call, I'm addressing it by about the third call of the game. And most definitely when he gets personal: "You are the worst official I have seen in years!" That's what my man garote would call illegal use of a personal pronoun. He should have been whacked on the spot for that.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
He was complaining about everything
He shouted that was a terrible call. I let that go, then up and back down the court and said that is worse call I have seen all year. STOP SIGN or WHACK
then up and back again and he said you are the worse official I have seen in years, WHACK!!!!!!
Needless to say, it was seatbelt city for him the rest of the night and he didnt say another word. Coaches, you got to luv them!!!!
The first personal comment is an automatic WHACK!!! there is no question about that - wheather he is lying or not !!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:47am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I can't believe you have so much tolerance for that. 1st time maybe he would get a stop sign, second time he would know to stop "whack" and there would be no third time.

This is a prime example of not needing a robotic stop sign.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I might join most of the choir here with one exception. The coach was obviously trying to get some response and it may have taken just a bit too long.
Almost every co-official will first blurt out "communication" in pre-game as if that's the one word remedy for having a good game. It is certainly important on the floor between co's, but I've found that the word actually applies to dealing with coaches as well.

This year, I've called just one T and for the most part, I think it's due more to a change over the past few years in my attitude and positioning than anything. After reporting calls and going tableside, I've started positioning myself right next to the coach so that any conversations are at least civil in volume if not tone. I've also started enjoying the give-and-take dialog that goes on.

I enjoy basketball--played, coached or called it most of my life and assume the coach is a reasonable person (true for the most part). We talk about the game and players first. I've found that if/when they question a call, my response is somewhat along the lines of "I hear you coach but here's why that call was made". That generally satisfies them.

I don't argue. If the coach is mis-quoting a rule, I simply say, "No, the rule is legal guarding position," or "the advantage was created when he was pushed from behind -- that's illegal coach”.

If a coach starts to get out of hand, my responses tend to become shorter and a bit more prefunctional. "Coach, we're watching that", or "we'll stay on top of that".

In fact, I can only remember one time this year I've had to get to the
"Coach, I've heard enough" phrase. And in that case, the somewhat newbie coach still acted like an idiot and missed the stop sign. That was my only T and I don't think anyone in the gym was surprised or dissapointed with the technical at that point.

Just my thoughts.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was ranting and raving on every call, especially my partners.
Really? Sounds to me like he was ranting and raving on you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
He should have been whacked a lot sooner!
A-freaking-men!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A-freaking-men!
I have a high tolerance....
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ranting and raving on every call? Complaining about everything? Shouted that it was a terrible call? Telling you that was the worse call he'd ever seen? Telling you that you are the worse official that he's ever seen?

And you let ALL of that go?

You're in the wrong racket. You should be a minister or a Pope or sumthin'. You're too nice a guy to be an official.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
For abuse, I guess. There's tolerance, and there's not taking care of business. Only you know where that line is. I think assignors like guys who take care of business before it gets to the point you describe. Just my own opinion.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I like the philosophy of the 3 P's: personal, prolonged, or profane. Any of these, you go get 'em.

Sounds as if you waited until "personal" (though you even skipped one there), and could have T'd him up on "prolonged" before it got to that point.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

If a coach wants to complain about a call, fine. Do it, get it out of your system and let it go. If I go up and back down the court again, and they are still complaining about the SAME call . . . "Coach, that's enough." Up and back down the floor again, and they are STILL complaining about the same call . . . TWEET! "Technical Foul!"

IF a coach EVER makes a comment personal (e.g., "you suck"), or they question my integrity, BAM! They will get the Technical Foul. No questions asked.

My opinion, you let this one get WAY TOO FAR! He should have gotten it MUCH sooner.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I disagree with you there. I dont look to give out Technical Fouls, the coach will have to earn them. We all have different tolerance levels and he hit mine. The game was great and I just ignored him until it started affecting the game as well as my concentration. I am in the correct profession and dont want to be label as an erragent tech happy official.