The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

BasketBRAWL . . .

Another sad day in basketball . . . do people (i.e., FANS) really think the game is all about them?? It would seem so. Click the link . . .

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...l.3325ad7.html
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Opening night of our HS season we had a BV game suspended for about 20 minutes b/c of a fight in the stands. The stands were cleared except for parents before the game was resumed.

And it turned out none of the home team fans were involved. It was the visiting team's fans fighting fans from another district school (my son's school in fact). The following week's game between my son's school and the visiting team had to be postponed to a later date because of threats of retaliation.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

This shows you how SOME people feel they are supposed to be the center of attention everywhere. I find it amazing that people cannot restrain themselves.

Just last week a game just outside of St. Louis on the Illinois side had to be postponed because of a fight earlier in the week and threats of more fighting at the game.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

A brawl in a Brooklyn HS game last week resulted in both teams being suspended: http://www.nydailynews.com/12-16-200...p-404424c.html
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
This shows you how SOME people feel they are supposed to be the center of attention everywhere. .
I think the psychology is more that some people can't see past themselves as the center of attention. They simply don't know how to "get over themselves", that there's anything else out there. Everything revolves around them, and they have never grown past that infantile stage of development. It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That kind of narcissism is comical until the consequences affect other people. You know the old saying, "It's all fun and games until someone gets their ego hurt."
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I know the guys that worked the game in Dallas. They are in my chapter. I haven't talked to them -- expect to see at least one this week. From what I understand the game had nothing to do with the fight (or vice versa), but the real problem here is tear gas. Man, I wear contacts and if I get even a hint of that stuff my eyes are going to burn like a summer day at the lake. I carry spares, but I don't want to change in the building.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 01:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Last week we called a flagrant on a kid for putting a real good shove on an opponent driving for a layup. Today, I went back to the home school for that game (the offender was from the visiting team) and was chatting about the situation with the game administrator (an official in our association.) He noted that the kid's Dad tried to get to our locker room after the game was over. He was stopped, but he was apparently not too happy with us; he wasn't too happy when the administrator told him he thought it was a good call, either.
Then, the kid's mom apparently called to b!tch out the home school's AD because that school deprived her kid of the "right" to play. Unreal! The good news is that the offended team never fought back. Well done.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
A brawl in a Brooklyn HS game last week resulted in both teams being suspended: http://www.nydailynews.com/12-16-200...p-404424c.html
An update to this story. One team, Thomas Jefferson HS, has been suspended until January 2, and will forfeit all league games until then and lose a trip to an out-of-state tournament. The other team, Paul Robeson HS, has been suspended for the rest of the season.

Both teams are in the new PSAL AA division, which was designed to create more competitive games between the top schools. No telling how that experiment will be affected.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talked to a guy today that wasn't an official at THAT game (in Dallas), but was very familiar with the history between those schools. I'm somewhat familiar, but he told me there was a big fight in the stands during the football game between them (Carter and Kimball HS in the Dallas ISD) this fall. He stated that there wasn't sufficient armed security (i.e. police) at the arena (and that place is a very nice place to work a HS game) that night.