The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question Continuing a count from lead

As lead in a 2-person game, I had a player begin a dribble in my area, and a defender closed in. I started a five second count. At about 3 seconds the dribbler dribbled across into my partner's area with her defender still closely guarding her. I was left wondering what to do.

If this had happened to me at trail, and the dribbler crossed over into the lead's area, obviously I would follow her somewhat and keep my count on. But I have never in my life seen a lead do this. Is it proper for the lead to continue this count and make the five second call from the baseline? Does it make a difference how far out of the lead's area the dribbler goes?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:34pm

No, once you start a count you keep it until the dribbler passes, stops dribbling, or the space between the defender is greater than 6 feet, or head and shoulders pass the defender on the dribble.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto, unless you're working 3 person. Then you should or shouldn't count as lead, depending on how they want it done in your association. I never count as lead working 3.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you are at 1 or 2, I say give it up to the trail and they can start a new count. If you are at 3 or 4, continue the count until the deciding factors no longer exist (see above), or until you get to 5 seconds. JMO
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

We pre-game this situation. If 'L' has the count and the count is 3 or more and the offensive player is going from 'L's primary to 'T's primary, then the mechanic we use is this --> Lead comes onto the floor and keeps his count going. That signals the 'T' that the lead has a closely guarded count. The 'T' then has off-ball resposibility. The 'T' needs to keep his wits about him as soon as 'L' is done with the count, 'T' needs to take the primary over again.... This is how one association I worked with wanted it done, it seemed the best way so far. NOT PERFECT MIND YOU
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
If you are at 1 or 2, I say give it up to the trail and they can start a new count. If you are at 3 or 4, continue the count until the deciding factors no longer exist (see above), or until you get to 5 seconds. JMO
Why would you stop a count when the rules say you shouldn't? Now the defense has to play good defense for 7 sec instead of 5, and is being penalized. I completely understand iref4him that there is no perfect way to handle this, one of the problems of 2-man. But I don't understand how setting aside a rule would be the best way to handle it.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
The OFFICIALS MANUAL says different.

TWO MAN: "The official who begins the five-second closely-guarded count stays with the count until it ends, a violation occurs or a foul occurs".

THREE MAN "The Center or Trail official, who has a five-second closely-guarded count in the frontcourt, must step onto the court and go with the dribbler even toward the other side official's area of responsibility, showing that he/she still has the initial count and that the offensive player is still closely guarded".