The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive Steal & BC/FC Violation?

Team B is pressing. Team A is offense.

A1 makes a pass that B2, while running, intercepts so close to the division line that B2 cannont stop and crosses it. B2 was running in the direction of A's Basket. B2 caught the ball in B's FC but being unable to stop & took the ball to B's BC.

I believe that this is not a violation. But cannot find a casebook support.

I remember an interpeter or casebook back a few years stating not wanting to penalize good defense. The example was if B2 catches the pass and tries to stop and teters before the division line then falls over B2 tried to stop but couldn't, no violation. He also said you will catch some heat but it is the correct call.

What are your thoughts on this officials?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

That applies to an airbourne defender not a running one...if the defender establishes player control in his frontcourt it is a BC violation to go back into the BC.

9-9-3
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to agree with the interpreter, but would stop short of letting someone gather the ball, teter, then cross into the backcourt. If they steal a pass and go FC to BC while in the air, starting a dribble, gathering the ball, etc, I would let it go, unless it is VERY clearly frontcourt possession.

If someone is able to control the ball, stop, and teter, they had time to pass it away.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
I tend to agree with the interpreter, but would stop short of letting someone gather the ball, teter, then cross into the backcourt. If they steal a pass and go FC to BC while in the air, starting a dribble, gathering the ball, etc, I would let it go, unless it is VERY clearly frontcourt possession.

If someone is able to control the ball, stop, and teter, they had time to pass it away.
As stated, I disagree with the interpreter. It's a BC violation.

As always (?) though, on violations, the benefit of the doubt goes to "no violation."
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Smack that interpreter upside the head with a 2x4 and then correctly go call the violation.

What is it with these people who instruct others to call the game incorrectly just because they don't care for something in the rules?

What a shame.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb
A1 makes a pass that B2, while running, intercepts so close to the division line that B2 cannont stop and crosses it. B2 was running in the direction of A's Basket. B2 caught the ball in B's FC but being unable to stop & took the ball to B's BC.

I believe that this is not a violation. But cannot find a casebook support.

I remember an interpeter or casebook back a few years stating not wanting to penalize good defense. The example was if B2 catches the pass and tries to stop and teters before the division line then falls over B2 tried to stop but couldn't, no violation. He also said you will catch some heat but it is the correct call.

What are your thoughts on this officials?
Tweet! Back Court violation......

With one exception, isn't the mid-court line treated the same as the endline and sideline? Would you ignore the violation if B2 caught/stole a pass just prior to falling across the endline/sideline? (of course not) So why would you ignore the violation at the mid-court line?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I'd say this depends on the situation. If B establishes team control, it's a bc violation. But if B just deflects the ball into the BC and then gets it I would have a no call