The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

This is driving me crazy...where is it in the rules, that if a "dribbler" -person legally dribbling the ball, that if the ball bounces higher than his shoulder while he is in control and has his palm on TOP of the ball that it is a carry. I can't find it, but see refs call it ALL the time, new refs, seasoned refs, they all call it, but I can't find it in the rule book. Please help.

Apaddle
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

It's not a carry. All the rule book says is that the ball can't come to rest in the dribbler's hand. I think what happens is that it looks awkward and the first instinct is to blow the whistle, I know I have done it before, especially when I lose concentration. But as long as the ball doesn't come to rest in the dribbler's hand he can dribble it as high as he wants.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

No that is not carrying the ball but a lot of times what really is a carry is not being called enough. And in incorporating the thread about pre-games, I try to make sure we clean this up early in the game, especially for upper level boys.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 11:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Apaddle
This is driving me crazy...where is it in the rules, that if a "dribbler" -person legally dribbling the ball, that if the ball bounces higher than his shoulder while he is in control and has his palm on TOP of the ball that it is a carry. I can't find it, but see refs call it ALL the time, new refs, seasoned refs, they all call it, but I can't find it in the rule book. Please help.

Apaddle
Do you really see "seasoned" refs call this? Hardly ever, I would guess. Maybe you just remember the few times it was called incorrectly and are extrapolating.

I work with tons of "seasoned" refs and I don't think I've seen any one of them make that call incorrectly in at least 5 years. And that represents well over 1000 games.

Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 11:38am
In Memoriam

I have.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Do you really see "seasoned" refs call this? Hardly ever, I would guess.

Mark,
I occasionally see it called by veteran officials; but, yeah, "hardly ever",... except by the Byron collar guys.
mick
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, last season, I saw a veteran official call this traveling!?
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have to admit, I did this Saturday morning in a fall league varsity boys game. As soon as I made the call, I told myself -- you are a dumb s**t! It was ugly, but legal and the player knew I kicked it as soon as I made the call. I wasn't sure what I should have done then. I simply told him, yeah, I kicked it. He laughed and went on, considering they were up by 25 points. I guess I could have said inadvertant(sp) whistle, but either way I would have looked dumb or dumber.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The opposite reaction

You're complaining that officials are calling this palming when it shouldn't be. But frankly, I never call this palming and it's the coaches who scream for the palming call.

I'm sure that there are some officials out there who call this palming, but the greater problem is coaches and fans who don't understand the rule and expect the palming call when it clearly is not.

Chuck
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 05:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: I have.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Mark,
I occasionally see it called by veteran officials; but, yeah, "hardly ever",... except by the Byron collar guys.
mick
Speaking of the collar guys, I worked two rec girls games with one of them last Sunday. First game JV, second game varsity. He kicked a number of calls (none for carrying, however), consistently called in my area, didn't know the over and back rule at all, wore an association patch from an association he quit years ago ("It's the only shirt I got"), wore a watch and also had bad breath.

Other than that, he was pretty good.

Actually, the worst problem I had with him was a T that he called against one of the varsity coaches. The guy hadn't said a word the entire game and we were now in the 4th quarter with his team up by 1. Earlier, the coach asked me about an over and back call I made (which I explained) and he did it just the way you want a coach to do it - he waited for a break, then asked it very politely. After I explained it, he nodded his head and thanked me. He then explained it to his player.

So, anyway, we're in the 4th quarter and a defender was slightly hand checking his dribbler. All he said was "get her off, please". He only said it once and he barely raised his voice. All of a sudden - WHACK!

This was at The Hoop in Beaverton, OR, where there is a house rule that all technicals are two shots, possession and an automatic two points for the other team. It's a really harsh penalty and this definitely was a contributing factor in his team losing by 3.

Yes - I discussed all this with "Collar-boy" but I got the feeling it just rolled off his collar.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 08:48pm
Administrator

Mark Padgett said: "Do you really see "seasoned" refs call this? Hardly ever, I would guess. Maybe you just remember the few times it was called incorrectly and are extrapolating.

I work with tons of "seasoned" refs and I don't think I've seen any one of them make that call incorrectly in at least 5 years. And that represents well over 1000 games."

Mark, you do not officiate in Ohio or Michigan then, where the coaches determine who officiates regular season and tournament games at the varsity level. I cannot begin to tell you how many times a season I see veteran officials make that call in H.S. freshmen, jr. varsity, and varsity, and jr. H.S. games.

And when I ask them why they made that call, none of them can give me an answer that will hold water, except, the coaches never say a word when these officials call it but go nuts when I refuse to call it, especially when my partner decides to call it from the lead position on the point guard who is eight feet above the top of the key and directly in front of me.

I am jealous of you because you do not have this problem in Oregon.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

You can't find it in the book because it isn't there. Palming the ball occurs when the dribbler allows the ball to come to rest in his/her hand; that hasn't happened in your scenario. It isn't travelling, either, since it is not possilbe to travel during a dribble. If you've seen veterans call this, they are just flat wrong.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Mark, you do not officiate in Ohio or Michigan then, where the coaches determine who officiates regular season and tournament games at the varsity level. I cannot begin to tell you how many times a season I see veteran officials make that call in H.S. freshmen, jr. varsity, and varsity, and jr. H.S. games.
Mark actually doesn't work HS games (regular season or tournament), although he did some years ago. He works HS-aged rec leagues and offseason leagues that involves some of the HS players. So, the fact that he doesn't see it called is even more impressive since some of the officials he works with may be very inexperienced and many have never worked an actual HS game.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Mark actually doesn't work HS games (regular season or tournament), although he did some years ago. He works HS-aged rec leagues and offseason leagues that involves some of the HS players. So, the fact that he doesn't see it called is even more impressive since some of the officials he works with may be very inexperienced and many have never worked an actual HS game.
Camron's point is well taken. Since my work schedule and my desire to see all of my son's games induced me to retire years ago from working official HS, my "games per year" has risen to well over 300 (I work at least 7 different rec leagues), many of which are done with very inexperienced officials. Now, it may be that the reason is tied to the fact that very young officials (and I work with a whole bunch of them) are reluctant to blow their whistle for anything at all, but I think that's just a small part of it.

I train officials for two rec associations and I emphasize concentrating on contact and calling fouls. So perhaps, in games done the first year or two by those officials, some violations (including perceived violations) go uncalled. But I have found that coaches scream ten times more for missed fouls than missed violations, and I have yet to see a player get a serious injury due to a violation.

Getting back to the point, I think there has been so much emphasis on this call, officials are just getting it right. At least out here. I do attend a (very) few HS games at my local HS, and did attend more when my son played a few years ago, and I have not seen this called incorrectly at this HS in many years.

One call I do see called incorrectly quite often is over and back. I actually hold a separate training session just on this rule during my general training sessions.

Old Wed Oct 10, 2001, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
But I have found that coaches scream ten times more for missed fouls than missed violations, and I have yet to see a player get a serious injury due to a violation.
I've seen plenty of kids break some ankles on some nasty crossovers made possible by a(n illegal) palming of the ball
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

What would the violation signal be for palming the ball? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe it is covered in the book.