The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

NBA...at it again!

Another NBA melee spills over into the stands. Knicks and Nuggets have 10 players ejected after a brawl with 1:15 remaining in the game. Suspensions to follow.

Moderators: This discussion is about a fight at an NBA game. I respectfully request that you delete any posts made by any poster that may lead this thread down the path of another racial war. Thanks!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lemme guess... you didn't like that the previous thread became a racial issue and as thread starter, you were able to delete the entire thread. You then (re-)started the/this thread.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:55pm
Lighten up, Francis.

1) I think it's very fortunate that none of the fans at MSG were hit or decided to take a cheap shot at a player. That could have escalated it even further.

2) All 10 players on the court were ejected. When the NBA office reviews the tape, I wonder if there will punishments for the officials if it is determined that any of the 10 ejected players was not involved in the fight.

3) All comments about individual players deleted!!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Who was on the game? I know Violet and Bavetta but who was the third? Just curious.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Who was on the game? I know Violet and Bavetta but who was the third? Just curious.
Robbie Robinson (#53) was the 3rd
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

As a general observation, watching this morning, the first thing that came across my mind is that one of the security staffers quickly directed the others to ignore what was going on on the court and, instead, focus on the fans.

Probably a good idea after the mega-brawl. That said, at that level of MSG, I'd worry more about a nice pinot noir being thrown than a cheap plastic-cup beer.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Lemme guess... you didn't like that the previous thread became a racial issue and as thread starter, you were able to delete the entire thread. You then (re-)started the/this thread.
You're a genius!

Personally, I didn't think the foul was that bad. I don't see an ejection based solely on the foul. Having not seen the game, I wonder if anything preceded the foul.

I think Carmelo Anthony will probably get the longest suspension of any of the players. The little b!tch slap and run that he pulled certainly isn't going to endear him to the casual fan.

I would think the league would make some announcements tomorrow.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Dec 17, 2006 at 10:55pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 03:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Personally, I didn't think the foul was that bad. I don't see an ejection based solely on the foul. Having not seen the game, I wonder if anything preceded the foul.
The NY papers said yesterday that Isiah Thomas supposedly told Carmelo Anthony before the incident that if Anthony was smart, he'd keep out of the paint for the rest of the game. If that can be substantiated, I'd imagine that Thomas will be looking at a suspension too.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 06:44am

Just learned this morning that Isaiah said; show some class, to Camby and Anthony, not don't go to the hole or you're going to pay. Says this got something to do with Larry Brown, interesting....
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

The foul definitely warranted an ejection. Take a look again at the clubbing motion of his (Marty Collins) left arm to the neck of JR Smith. Then Nate Robinson escalated the situation with his actions. Carmelo definitely took a sucker-punch, but I feel no pity for the recepient of the punch (Marty Collins).
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The foul definitely warranted an ejection. Take a look again at the clubbing motion of his (Marty Collins) left arm to the neck of JR Smith.
Welll, I disagree. I don't think he would have been ejected based on the foul alone.

Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXDDwwX1jWs

Thats the video link again. Hurry - you tube deleted the last link due to NBA copyright rules.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WXDDwwX1jWs

Thats the video link again. Hurry - you tube deleted the last link due to NBA copyright rules.
Thanks for the link.

I don't know if the original foul was worthy of an ejection or not by NBA standards but if not then the NBA better rethink this.

Isaiah doesn't want to get embarrased at home in the closing minute? Then Isaiah should have gotten a better product to put on the floor.

I agree that Carmello's slap & run makes him look bad. I don't think it will make a difference to the typical fan though.

BTW, I just read this statement that was issued yesterday.

Quote:
Last night's altercation with the Knicks escalated further than it should have. I take full responsibility for my actions in the matter. In the heat of the moment I let my emotions get the best of me. I apologize to the fans, the Denver Nuggets, the NBA, my mother and my family for the embarrassment I have caused them. I ask you all for your forgiveness.

"I also want to make a personal apology to Mardy Collins and his family. My actions were inexcusable, and I am sorry for making this an even more embarrassing situation.

"What makes this all the more painful is that this was one of the most important weeks of my life. I just realized one of my biggest dreams when we opened the Youth Center in Baltimore that bares my name. To see the community excited and hundreds of kids smiling was an incredible feeling. Now the thought of thousands of kids seeing this incident on TV pains me. This is not the example I want to set.

"It's my hope that we work to move forward from this event, and never let something like this happen again."
-- Carmelo Anthony

Last edited by Dan_ref; Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 10:19am.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

My previous post on this was incorrect. Robbie Robinson did get involved, seperating Jeffries from one of the Nuggets. I hope I wasn't contributing to whatever caused the thread to be deleted.

Some general questions:
1- What should be the role of officials as this kind of melee develops? I thought Bavetta did a good job of quieting the initial mess, and if the Nuggets had gotten Anthony out of there, this might have been a minor incident.

2-Before the hard foul by Collins, Smith lowered his shoulder and pounded into Collins. Incidental contact? Or was this already a defensive foul because Collins didn't have LGP?

3-Isaiah Thomas was clearly talking to Anthony during the previous lull in the game. When you see this type of thing, do you say anything to the coach? Like maybe "Coach your own players!", or is this something to avoid entirely?

Note: When people argue that it's OK to run up the score at certain levels, this incident might be used as an example as to why that may not be such a good idea. Food for thought.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 11:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Isaiah doesn't want to get embarrased at home in the closing minute? Then Isaiah should have gotten a better product to put on the floor.
Lost in all the fooferaw was the fact that Denver had 3 subs at the table waiting to go in the game when the flagrant foul on the layup occurred.