The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt or not?

A1 is dribbling in the frontcourt near the midcourt line. B1 knocks the ball away. After B1 hits it, the ball bounces off of A1's knee into the backcourt. A1 retrieves the ball in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Let me try this one, batting the ball by B does not mean team control by A was lost, A last to touch FC, first to touch BC tweet!

Do I pass?

Survey says!!!.......
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 09:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar60
Let me try this one, batting the ball by B does not mean team control by A was lost, A last to touch FC, first to touch BC tweet!

Do I pass?

Survey says!!!.......
You are correct.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

That is a BC violation and every time I make this call I hear complaining from the coach and fans: "It was touched, it was tipped, etc..."

And you will too! Not a understanding of the rule many know. and most inexperienced officials don't know this rule either. I see this many times not called when it should be!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

I called this in a game today and the coach had a fit. I almost had to T him because he didn't know the rule.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

NevadaRef, Happens every single time I call it. At any level. Often I explain the rule - mostly to educate them - either right there on the spot or when it is appropriate. The problem is that not every official calls it or knows and when it is called it can send the gym in a tizzy.

Do you ref in Nevada? Where at?
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Yes, in Reno.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Last Touch First Touch

I had this twice in Girls JV game on Wed night.
First Time: [Blue Team on Offense]
A1 passed ball to A2, B1 tipped ball, A2 while in front court, deflected it into BC, A2 went back into BC and retrieved ball, I was trail, saw the whole play, tweet, BC Violation, gave ball to B at sideline nearest to where A2 grabbed ball. Coach screamed "it was tipped, it was tipped", I told Coach I saw the tip.

Second Time: [White Team on Offense]
A1 passed ball to A2, B1 tipped ball into backcourt, A2 waited for ball to bounce in BC before picking it up. I was trail, saw the whole play, no whistle, and we played on. Coached screamed "Hey that's over and back, how was that different? At the next TO I talked to Coach and told him easiest way to tell violation/no violation is to look at "last touch first touch" even if it's tipped by a defender in the FC. If offense is last to touch in FC and first to touch in BC, you got a violation, If defense is last to touch in FC, then play on.

He had the "deer in headlights" look like what in blazes are you talking about?
I guess I'll have to 'splain it a little slower next time.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

This rule gets every fan's goat except for the informed ones. They all go nuts, don't they? The intent of the rule is to take the judgement out of the call. It doesn't matter how the ball got to the back court; it only matters who touched the ball last prior to going to back court with exceptions such as the throw-in. That's how I explain it, if someone really wants to push it. That, or reference section 9-9 in the rule or case book, if they even have them.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I make that same call. Coaches, Fans, and Players don't like it, but it is what it is, like it or not. TWEET! Violation!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt? Difference

If A1 is dribling and B1 deflects the ball into the backcourt. A1 retrieves and there is no violation. How is this different than if the ball touched A1 on the way to the backcourt? There is no control in either situation.

I know that you are correct, I just don't understand the difference.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp8902
If A1 is dribling and B1 deflects the ball into the backcourt. A1 retrieves and there is no violation. How is this different than if the ball touched A1 on the way to the backcourt? There is no control in either situation.
There is no player control, but there is still TEAM control in both situations. The defensive bat does not end Team A's control. Therefore, if the ball touches A1 before going into the backcourt, Team A cannot be first to touch the ball once it gets into the backcourt.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp8902

I know that you are correct, I just don't understand the difference.
Let's take some similar plays: A1 is dribbling and B1 deflects the ball out of bounds: Violation on B.

A1 is dribbling, B1 deflects the ball off of A1 and out of bounds: Violation on A.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Remember the nBA rule is different and lots of people think we should call it like the NBA--- (all though I like the NBA rule better)
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Remember the nBA rule is different and lots of people think we should call it like the NBA--- (all though I like the NBA rule better)
I don't......