The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Association Question

Are they any places out there that operate where you (as an official) contract your own games - without an association or an assignor?

This was the way it was when I very first started and now I have moved around quite a bit and everywhere now seems to be an association and they assign you games.

Just curious. Thanks!

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 01:49pm.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

No replies? O.K. let me try this: Do all of you get games based on assignors that are part of an association or do you get a partner and go out and get your own schedule? When I first started this is what had to be done - it seems now that has changed almost everywhere. Thanks!
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 03:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I get my high school games from an assignor who is hired by the AD's of the local schools.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Game assignments

Here in Washington State all officials belong to local
associations and games are assigned by the assigning secretery
Carl
The WEBNASI
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Inidiana was the last state that I know of that still did this. I don;t know if that's still the policy. In Texas, some areas still contract with officials for their football games. But for the most part, this practice is over and done with....thank goodness.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
No replies? O.K. let me try this: Do all of you get games based on assignors that are part of an association or do you get a partner and go out and get your own schedule? When I first started this is what had to be done - it seems now that has changed almost everywhere. Thanks!

All of my games come from the ADs not from assignors. In this part of the state (IL) only one conference uses an assignor and the rest of the school contract with you personally. That was pretty much the way it was where I moved from as well.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Mi. we are considered independent contractors. We could call the school and ask for games (from the AD) but most belong to an Assoc. where the assignor mettles out the games. its easier on the official and safer to do so.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

All of my games come from the ADs not from assignors. In this part of the state (IL) only one conference uses an assignor and the rest of the school contract with you personally. That was pretty much the way it was where I moved from as well.
That's true in our part of IL as well. Only two of the larger conferences have assignors; the rest of the schools hire their own officials.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi
... but most belong to an Assoc. where the assignor mettles out the games....
Doesn't anyone else in your association have any mettle?

Ray, you're new here, so I shouldn't be rude like this, and I apologize, but you seem like a nice guy so I hope you won't be offended. Normally, we don't razz nice people until they've been around awhile, but this one was too cute to pass up.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

When I lived in Rockford, IL I was a member of the ROA(Rockfor officials Assoc.) an they assigned for alot of schools. I think this works better than Indiana. Most still assign individually except for the IOA(Indiana officials Assoc.), but it's not ran as well. It seems to me Indiana has been behind the times on alot of things i.e going to three man in tournament ect.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

here in the Cowboy State

We have a combination here. The schools contract the games, however, they use associations and individuals and a combination of the two. IOW School A can go to particular officials and give them X# of games, then send the rest to an association. When they send games to the association they can request that certain officials be assinged to particular games if possible. The officials in our association work both systems as well....
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Minnesota...

In Minnesota, it's up to the schools. In my area of the state most of the schools go through 1 or more associations to get their officials but they are not required to, they can contract directly with officials. There is one conference where I get games from a conference assignor, outside of my association. Most associations prefer their officials do not accept games directly from the schools and that you belong to only 1 association. The state recommends officials join an association but at this time it is not required. There a few officials who do not belong to an association and work completely as independents but the number is small. Bottom line....no real consistent practice but games from an association is the majority practice.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

In Northeastern Ohio, we voluntarily belong to an association, but most assinging is done by Conference Commissioners. For non-conf games its a mishmash...some schools have an assignor get the officials for them and some the ADs do it.

The Association is more for managing our mandatory rules meetings that we have to attend every year.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

In Massachusetts (my part anyway) each league (conference) has an assignor hired by the ADs. Some of the assignors assign for more than one league. Some only assign boys others only girls and some assign both.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:18pm
Jerry Blum

In Indiana now it is a combination of all possible ways to assign games. Right now there appears to be a movement toward using assignors. However, there are still many schools that like to schedule their own officials. Also I know that the 2 associations I belong to either do or are starting to assign for schools.

So this makes things for someone that is new to the area(been here 2 1/2 years) very difficult to get games. Mostly because schools that schedule their own officials schedule out 2-3 years.