The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Giving a T

In the funny story thread, he used the expression, "I have freedom of the whistle."

Are we supposed to whistle when we give a T? I gave two back to back to the same coach last night.

He really needs a "how to talk to the ref" lesson.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
In the funny story thread, he used the expression, "I have freedom of the whistle."

Are we supposed to whistle when we give a T? I gave two back to back to the same coach last night.

He really needs a "how to talk to the ref" lesson.

Rita
I don't always whistle the T, although I often do. But I'm probably not the best authority on the subject. If the guy is getting in your face, a whistle can back him off quickly, and that can be useful. If you're having trouble getting someone's attention, a whistle does the job. Obviously, you need a whistle to stop play. For back to back T's, I'd at least give a whistle for the second one. It emphasizes to everyone that you're now adding on. But you also need to be careful about back to back T's. Sometimes it's necessary, but sometimes you can avoid the second with some judicial turning of your back and switching off of the ears. That saves the coach's dignity, if there's anything left to save, and it obviates the need to file a report.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, the only time I will not hit my whistle for a T is if it's a book error before the tip. Beyond that, I hit my whistle hard and loud so that everyone knows what is going on. I don't want any confusion if I have to assess a T. As far as back to back, why weren't your partners coming in. If we have a T, we get someone else in there asap to talk to the coach and get the calling official away from the benches.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Personally, the only time I will not hit my whistle for a T is if it's a book error before the tip. Beyond that, I hit my whistle hard and loud so that everyone knows what is going on. I don't want any confusion if I have to assess a T. As far as back to back, why weren't your partners coming in. If we have a T, we get someone else in there asap to talk to the coach and get the calling official away from the benches.
The best part of using the whistle is that you actually let your partner(s) know you've called one. Once, when working with an unfamiliar partner, we were lining up for FTs and I had no idea why. Not good.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I don't give Ts much. However, this guy was saying that we didn't know the rules. He wouldn't sit after the first T and said he would sit when he was good and ready.

He wouldn't leave the game either. I didn't push that issue but let my partner take care of it. He told my partner that we were wrong about his having to leave the game. He told my partner he would be back out as soon as he found the rule that he didn't have to leave the game.

There's a lot more to it. It happened during the fourth quarter of a game his team was losing.

It was our lack of knowledge that was causing them to lose, you know.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

That sounds like an easy ejection. Nice job.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The best part of using the whistle is that you actually let your partner(s) know you've called one. Once, when working with an unfamiliar partner, we were lining up for FTs and I had no idea why. Not good.
Good point. I have had that happen to me. And I did that to my partner last night.

In four years this is only maybe the fifth time I've been in a game in which a T has been given. Maybe we have kindler, gentler coaches

Rita
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
It was our lack of knowledge that was causing them to lose, you know.
Just as long as you keep that straight in your mind, you'll be fine!!

But seriously, you did the right thing. How long did you have to wait until he left? And in the end, did he finally leave the building, or did he hang around and wait for you after the game?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
That's just it. Because I didn't use a whistle, my partner didn't know what was happening. The whole situation would have been better and maybe the second T avoided had I used the whistle the first time.

Learning, learning.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Just as long as you keep that straight in your mind, you'll be fine!!

But seriously, you did the right thing. How long did you have to wait until he left? And in the end, did he finally leave the building, or did he hang around and wait for you after the game?
He did leave, with the threat that he was coming back out when he found the rule that said he didn't have to leave. Took a couple of minutes for my partner to convince him to leave.

He was with the visiting team so they were gone by the time I came out of the office after post game.

Rita
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Another thing to possibly consider is the nonverbal message you're sending the coach by not using the whistle. If you step back, hit it loud and hard, you are presenting yourself as more assertive than if you just give the mechanic. Not giving the whistle may make you seem unsure. That's just my $.02.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Good ejection, just some advice:

1. Use the whistle, and calmly give the T signal, report it to the table and get away to find your partner.

2. Let your partner know what you have and let your partner inform the coach that he/she lost the coaches box. This does two things, it helps defuse the emotions of both you and the coach and it keeps any confusion away.

3. Whenever a coach is ejected and refuses to leave, it's simple. Tell the timer he/she has one minute and if they haven't left by the time the minute is up...ballgame!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Using the whistle gives you one additional tool in your box. When a coach is getting near the line, and won't back off by talking to him, then it can sometimes be helpful to put the whistle into your mouth. It serves as a warning that the T is imminent. I've had it work before.

Just to add a thought to blindzebra's comments, sometimes it's better to hit the whistle, signal the T, and go find your partner immediately. Take 30 seconds to talk about what you're going to do next, who will tell the coach to sit, which end to shoot FTs at. Then go back and report. It gives the coach a few seconds to calm down. And, if he's still going strong when you go to report, you have ample justification to unload him.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Using the whistle gives you one additional tool in your box. When a coach is getting near the line, and won't back off by talking to him, then it can sometimes be helpful to put the whistle into your mouth. It serves as a warning that the T is imminent. I've had it work before.

Just to add a thought to blindzebra's comments, sometimes it's better to hit the whistle, signal the T, and go find your partner immediately. Take 30 seconds to talk about what you're going to do next, who will tell the coach to sit, which end to shoot FTs at. Then go back and report. It gives the coach a few seconds to calm down. And, if he's still going strong when you go to report, you have ample justification to unload him.
Not sure I like that.

There shouldn't be any discussion over who sits the coach, IMO, that should be your partner. Calling it, talking and then going back near the coach to report can be seen as baiting the coach.

I had this come up just last week. My partner got the visiting coach, 2nd half from lead. He came by reported, turned and said what he had and went to the other end to shoot. I walked across to the bench area and observed the players and let the coach talk to my back while we shot the first FT, as the second shot went up I turned and said, "Coach you have your seat the rest of the game," and went back across the court for the throw-in.

We took care of business, the coach had his say without feeling challenged, he calmed down, my partner had a chance to regroup and the game went on from there without incident.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

BITS has it dead on! Get away from the coach, talk to your partner, let everyone know what is going on. Then report the Technical, administer the Technical, and continue with the game.

As for the "back-to-back" technical fouls, well . . . probably shouldn't ever happen UNLESS they REALLY deserve it. And, if it does, it is better to let two different officials each give the coach one, rather than only one official giving both (JMO). That way, it doesn't turn into a "he said - she said" issue, and you don't end up trying to justify why you tossed a coach acting like an idiot. CYA