The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

The "kinder and gentler" Rich

I've worked 2 varsity games so far this year. Slow start to the season, by choice.

Saturday, girls. Girl drives baseline and puts up a lousy shot. I'm C, tableside, and when the ball hit the support behind the backboard, I whistled it and signaled that the ball was going the other way. Home coach came unglued, claiming that the ball was tipped. No way -- there was 2 feet between defender and ball.

I'll be honest, in past years, the coach's behavior would've drawn a technical from me as he was out on the court. Yet Saturday, I remained calm and guided him back to the box and when he said he wanted a time out to talk to my partners, I repeated "You want a time out?" He said yes, I granted him a full time out (it was all he had left) and went to the far block. He was a bit annoyed at me burning his timeout, but it defused the situation pretty well.

Last night, boys. Ball bouncing on the rim. 6'8" home player goes up and both the trail and I (center) call basket interference almost simultaneously. Player is claiming he didn't touch the ball so vehemently he mustn't have any feeling in his fingers (or something like that) since it was quite obvious. Again, in past years I probably would've called a quick T as he was "calling us out" heading down the floor. Instead I quickly went up to the player and (essentially) told him to knock it off and play the game. Calm as can be. He was OK after that.

Maybe the rest between seasons has helped. Or maybe, finally, after 20 years I've learned that even when everyone is acting annoyed and crazy I can be calm and relaxed and even smile from time to time.

I'll give it another month before I make that judgment. Girls tonight, 2-person.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

It's still early. We're all kinder and gentler.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you've "stumbled" onto my mindset for every game: the officials should be the calmest people in the gym. I think you'll find yourself enjoying the games/officiating a lot more this season with your new perspective.......