The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Interesting mechanic

I saw this in a boys varsity game last week. The ball goes out over the base line, and we're staying here. Throw-in is not at the lane line, but that's where everybody sets up. The official is standing out near the arc, holding the ball, trying to get the thrower to come down there. Thrower holds his ground. The official sets the ball down next to him and starts his count. Predictably the thrower hustled over, picked up the ball, and made his throw-in from there. I saw no more problems with throw-ins that half. I'll have to add that to my bag o' tricks.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
If the administering official gave the thrower enough time and advice to come to the spot of the throw in, and the thrower did not move like you indicated, then the official was correct in putting the ball down.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously they wanted the advantage to throw the ball in where it is easier to make an easy layup... The kids dont manage the game we do. The ball needs to go in where it came out. I normally try and get the kids attention before I go as far as putting it on the floor..

Ray what Team was it?
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

It was Tabby.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:33pm
Never Stop Learning

The resumption -of -play procedure is not applicable in this situation. (4-38)
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:54pm
Huck Finn

Did he tell the player where the spot was and to come to the spot? This seems to happen all the time and it isnormally just a matter of telling the player where the spot is.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
The resumption -of -play procedure is not applicable in this situation. (4-38)
Correct. But, putting the ball on the floor is not only a resumption of play mechanic, it's also the mechanic whenever the inbounding team doesn't make an inbounder available
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:03am
Never Stop Learning

I see in the officials manual where it says about throw in spot after a technical. " No appreciable delay should be allowed before placing the ball at the spot and begining the five-second count." I can't seem to see where after an out of bounds call it is also to be used. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm making the player come to where I want them to inbound the ball, and have never had a problem with them coming to that spot when directed to do so.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see in the officials manual where it says about throw in spot after a technical. " No appreciable delay should be allowed before placing the ball at the spot and begining the five-second count." I can't seem to see where after an out of bounds call it is also to be used. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm making the player come to where I want them to inbound the ball, and have never had a problem with them coming to that spot when directed to do so.
Well, that would be the point, wouldn't it? If you have a player who is reluctant to come to the spot, because he/she wants to throw it in from the lane line, what do you do? The way I have always handled it is to simply stand there, talking to the kid and pointing to the spot, until he gets the message and comes to the spot. In my experience, this solves the issue -- that time. But it in no way guarantees that the next kid won't try the same thing. It's not a huge issue, but it does waste some time and burns some patience.

I've worked with this guy before, and he's a good official. It happened across the floor from where I was sitting, so I couldn't hear, but I'm willing to bet that he talked to the kid, pointed to the spot, basically did all the things we would reasonably expect him to do before putting the ball down. But, and I left after halftime so I don't know for sure, I'm willing to bet that the next kid didn't need similar coaxing.

Whether it's "authorized" or not, I can see how it might be a better approach when dealing with a team that is giving you problems. It seems like one of those tools you might use only once or twice a season, but those one or two times, it could be the best tool for the job.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I see in the officials manual where it says about throw in spot after a technical. " No appreciable delay should be allowed before placing the ball at the spot and begining the five-second count." I can't seem to see where after an out of bounds call it is also to be used.
Case book play 7.5.2SitA is where you'll see it.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 08:48am

Game management gentlemen, that's what we are talking about here. Most of the time the players are not doing this intentionally, they are distracted focusing on there next play, etc. That's a lot of pressure for a young man or woman in high school. I've even seen this with the men. They are not in any way trying to show you up. They are caught up in the moment. I always tell them to come over here. The key to look for IMHO, is if the player hears you. If they don't, how can you expect them to do what you are telling them to do. Get there attention first, once you got that, then tell them to come over here. Dropping the ball on them and starting your count is poor game management skills, IMO. Nobody going to lose any money or die if you take a few extra seconds to get the teams out of the huddle or get the player to come over to you. One of the things that works for me and I have gotten much better at this over time. I will tell the inbounder, 3 pt line, 3 pt line! That's where the ball went out.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:21am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The key to look for IMHO, is if the player hears you. If they don't, how can you expect them to do what you are telling them to do. Get there attention first, once you got that, then tell them to come over here. Dropping the ball on them and starting your count is poor game management skills, IMO.

I have to disagree with you on this Ol' Boy. First off, from the sound of the OP, it seemed apparent that the player was aware of the refs directions, as he hustled right over and took the throw from the proper spot. You shouldn't have to stand there playing games with the thrower. I don't think anybody here would just drop the ball and start their count without first giving the thrower-in a chance to get to the proper spot.

Quote:
Nobody going to lose any money or die if you take a few extra seconds to get the teams out of the huddle or get the player to come over to you.
Nobody is making this claim at all, but it is poor game management on your part IMHO, to let teams take advantage of you by giving them those extra seconds. Are you controlling the game or are the coaches?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Nobody is making this claim at all, but it is poor game management on your part IMHO, to let teams take advantage of you by giving them those extra seconds. Are you controlling the game or are the coaches?
Great, great point! So glad you mention this. Yes, I am still controlling the game but I am giving them a little too. We got to all work together out here. A little give and take won't hurt, especially here. The way I like to say it; is investing some good will. I'm building some goodwill points to be used later in the game, should I need to. Rarely, have I had to cash in those goodwill points. Almost everytime, opposite of rarely, the coach and/or player does something good back for me. Building goodwill is a good thing. Goodwill also carrys over to the next time you have that coach or players.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Game management gentlemen, that's what we are talking about here. Most of the time the players are not doing this intentionally, they are distracted focusing on there next play, etc. That's a lot of pressure for a young man or woman in high school. I've even seen this with the men. They are not in any way trying to show you up. They are caught up in the moment. I always tell them to come over here. The key to look for IMHO, is if the player hears you. If they don't, how can you expect them to do what you are telling them to do. Get there attention first, once you got that, then tell them to come over here. Dropping the ball on them and starting your count is poor game management skills, IMO. Nobody going to lose any money or die if you take a few extra seconds to get the teams out of the huddle or get the player to come over to you. One of the things that works for me and I have gotten much better at this over time. I will tell the inbounder, 3 pt line, 3 pt line! That's where the ball went out.
Agree with the approach, not with the intent.

Make the damn player come to you without putting the ball on the floor. It's a much stronger statement of control.

I'm not interested in anybody's good will.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:23pm
Never Stop Learning

I'm with you on this one Dan. Mechanic or not I'm making them come to the spot.