The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously they are good officials. That is why they were chosen for a TV game. Getting the calls right is always the most important thing. How many of us can say that we haven't had our mechanics slide a little bit on a critical call in an intense, down-to-the-wire game when we were selling a call?

That being said, they really should try to use NFHS mechanics in a HS game and leave the college mechanics in the bag.
"Ref the game that is being played in the gym that night."

My first couple of college games, I had a lot of HS mechanics. By my third game of switching back-and-forth, I was able to "turn on" the appropriate set of mechanics. It's not that hard.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I was actually thinking along these lines last night. I worked my first college games of my career this season and I'm already noticing that my HS mechanics are not as sharp. I find myself getting sloppy with stopping the clock and sometimes even getting a fist in the air (this only happens when the play is clearly my call) and I just give the mechanic for the foul. On my way home from last night's JV game I decided that I have to go back to square one for a while and get my mechanics sharp again.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Guy, guys, guys, calm down for a second.

It is very clear to me that these officials are very capable to work this style of game. If you read what I had said earlier, I could not find many calls if any where I had a problem with. I did not watch every single minute, but what I saw they did a very good job.

If I had worked this game and used the specific mechanics these officials used and I had an evaluator sitting in the stands, the officials would have heard about not stopping the clock. I main camp that I attend every year is a camp run by the head clinician and rules interpreter in the state. He is all the time getting on officials for many things I saw during this game. Things like not stopping the clock and not coming to a stop when reporting a foul would be something he would mention if I was working a game and the evaluator had the opportunity to talk to us during halftime or after the game.

I will also confess that I have been doing some things not entirely on purpose that are not perfect as it relates to mechanics. I have gotten into a really bad habit of not giving a proper team control foul signal when I am calling an illegal screen. Not sure why I do this, but I have done this and I am completely aware of it. I also have for the last few years done a "pointing that way" when I have called an offensive foul of some kind to indicate the team on defense is getting the ball. I do not know why I started doing this, but I have and for some reason have not stopped. By no means am I perfect when it comes to NF mechanics.

I must also note that states can come up with their own mechanics if they want to. That came directly from Mary Struckoff herself a couple of years ago. States do not have to follow all the NF mechanics if they choose to and this is why I was asking were things in Georgia different and these guys were just doing what is allowed. I know our state had a couple of differences that are not listed in the book, but they usually are not related to signals. I am sure when one of the games that will be on national television some might notice those differences when everyone has a chance to see those officials work.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If I had worked this game and used the specific mechanics these officials used and I had an evaluator sitting in the stands, the officials would have heard about not stopping the clock.
Do you still use the stop clock mechanics when Precision Time is used? Since this game was at Georgia Tech, isn't it possible Precision Time was used?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Do you still use the stop clock mechanics when Precision Timing is used? Since this game was at Georgia Tech, isn't it possible Precision Timing was used?
I have only used the PTS about 3 or 4 times in my career. I did use stop clock mechanics when using it. It was just a habit. Also it did not appear the officials were using the PTS. I could be wrong, but usually you can see an official holding their belt and I did not see anyone doing this.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Why are college officials doing an important, high-profile HS game?
Sh!t disturber.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sh!t disturber.
Don't let him bother you...just lie back down & go to sleep...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Don't let him bother you...just lie back down & go to sleep...
Not until I've killed every single penguin in the whole universe.....
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Not until I've killed every single penguin in the whole universe.....
...or you remember what you ordered that damn catalogue for...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Do you still use the stop clock mechanics when Precision Time is used? Since this game was at Georgia Tech, isn't it possible Precision Time was used?
I do. I count whith one hand and chop when the ball is touched, while starting the clock with the other hand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

GA differeces

In GA, we are allowed to walk & report fouls on the way to the table. In addition, we can use two hand mechanics to report fouls. Stopping the clock is encouraged but not mandated. I was at the game and Precision Time was notbeing used.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 10:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
In GA, we are allowed to walk & report fouls on the way to the table. In addition, we can use two hand mechanics to report fouls. Stopping the clock is encouraged but not mandated. I was at the game and Precision Time was notbeing used.
I guess the bottom line is "When in Rome(Georgia)..........."