The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Being shown up?

I was doing a freshman game Saturday and the coaches on one of the teams are lobbying for three seconds to be called on nearly every trip down the court in the first quarter. I'm in my first year so I consult with my partner, who has been doing this for 10 years, to make sure my understanding of the rule is correct. He assures me it is, says to ignore the coaches because the problem is they just don't have anybody who can cover the center and want us to bail them out. Fine. A little while later, I'm serving as trail official and one of the assistant coaches starts doing a count out loud. My first thought is to stop play and call a technical for trying to show us up. I decide to wait until the next break to talk to my partner again. He says he heard the counting too, but it's not serious enough to call a technical. I'm not sure I agree. The game soon became a blowout so the coaches kept quiet the rest of the way, but I still wonder if I should have followed my first instinct and called the technical, if only to let the guy know he better keep his mouth shut in future games. Anybody have thoughts?