The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As I said before, not in my area. You would have a heckuva lot more explaining to do if you did call a "T". It would certainly slow down your advancement up the ladder too.

I'd check with my peers/asssignor/evaluator on that one, if I were you. Jmo fwiw.
I'm completely with JR here. Addressing this is just looking to make a good night into a bad one. I've never even heard of someone taking care of this. In my experience, the offesive player makes the basket more often than not and the defensive player figures out that it's just a stupid move that doesn't work.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm completely with JR here. Addressing this is just looking to make a good night into a bad one. I've never even heard of someone taking care of this. In my experience, the offesive player makes the basket more often than not and the defensive player figures out that it's just a stupid move that doesn't work.
Amen. And it just doesn't happen much anyway. Ignoring it doesn't make it get worse, because it's stupid, as you say. And since it's not illegal, I say, ignore away!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Just two (euro) cents:

FIBA Official Interpretations 2006, art. 38, statement 3:
"While a player is in the act of shooting for goal, opponents shall not be permitted to disconcert that player by actions such as waving a hand(s) to obstruct the shooter’s field of vision, shouting loudly, stamping feet heavily or clapping hands near the shooter. To do so may result in a technical foul if the shooter is disadvantaged by the action, or a warning if the shooter is not disadvantaged.

Example
A4 is in the act of shooting for a goal when B4 attempts to distract A4 by shouting loudly or stamping feet heavily of the floor. The shot for goal is:
(a) Successful
(b) Unsuccessful.

Interpretation:
(a) A warning shall be given to B4 and shall be communicated to coach B. This warning shall apply to all players of team B for the remainder of the game for similar behaviour.
(b) A technical foul shall be charged to B4."

[email protected]
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Amen. And it just doesn't happen much anyway. Ignoring it doesn't make it get worse, because it's stupid, as you say. And since it's not illegal, I say, ignore away!
There you go again, unequivocally stating that this action is not illegal. That is what I objected to earlier. What you have written is simply not true. It is up to the discretion of the official working that particular game to determine the legality of this type of action. There is not a single official on this forum who can authoritatively tell you that screaming at an opposing shooter is a legal play. The most anyone who is not an NFHS rules committee member or an official state interpreter can do is say how he/she personally interprets it or how he/she recommends this play be called.

The bottom line is that this is a judgment call.

Interesting to see how FIBA judges this act.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Personally, I like the FIBA approach to this.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
I forgot to point out that this situation is not covered anywhere in the FIBA Rulebook.

[email protected]
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADW_Elessar
I forgot to point out that this situation is not covered anywhere in the FIBA Rulebook.
So it is an interpretation not from the Rulesbook? Aside from the interpretation, do you see it called?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:18am
MABO Member

Quote:
How does an interpretation not come from a rule?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
. The most anyone who is not an NFHS rules committee member or an official state interpreter can do is say how he/she personally interprets it or how he/she recommends this play be called.
Nevada, it's exactly the fact that the rules committee doesn't say it's illegal that makes it not illegal. My interpretations are completely irrelavant. It's the rules committee that gets to make the rules. And they haven't ruled on this.

I don't like it when kids do it, but the only reason people seem to give for calling it is do discourage them from doing it. But there's nothing in the rules about being allowed to do that, so I can't just "judgment" myself into doing it according to my preferences.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
How does an interpretation not come from a rule?
It comes from 38.1.2: "Each team shall do its best to secure victory, but this must be done in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play."
They however issued the interpretation to make it clearer.

And yes, I see this called. Actually, people will complain if you don't...

So, it is not explicitly illegal by the book, but the interpretation makes clear it is, since it is not an act within "the spirit of sportsmanship".

[email protected]
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Nevada, it's exactly the fact that the rules committee doesn't say it's illegal that makes it not illegal. My interpretations are completely irrelavant. It's the rules committee that gets to make the rules. And they haven't ruled on this.

I don't like it when kids do it, but the only reason people seem to give for calling it is do discourage them from doing it. But there's nothing in the rules about being allowed to do that, so I can't just "judgment" myself into doing it according to my preferences.
As you well know not every situation which could arise during a game has a specific play ruling. If the NFHS attempted to do that, then the rules book would be bigger than the encyclopedia.

The fact is that the NFHS does currently have a rule which covers this. The NFHS rules committee wrote the rule so that the game officials have the power to enforce sporting behavior. Judgment is a huge factor in this. Your interpretation is completely relevant. It is up to YOU to rule on this. If you do not believe that this action is "in accordance with the spirit of fair play," then you are authorized to charge an unsporting foul.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't remember ever seeing an interp saying anything like that. Are you sure? Usually, if the FED issues one, they'll put it in the case book the next year.
Nope. Not 100%. It could just have been the state. I think it was originally directed at girls yelling "BALL, BALL, BALL" but the interpretation we were given included the OP.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
As you well know not every situation which could arise during a game has a specific play ruling. If the NFHS attempted to do that, then the rules book would be bigger than the encyclopedia.

The fact is that the NFHS does currently have a rule which covers this. The NFHS rules committee wrote the rule so that the game officials have the power to enforce sporting behavior. Judgment is a huge factor in this. Your interpretation is completely relevant. It is up to YOU to rule on this. If you do not believe that this action is "in accordance with the spirit of fair play," then you are authorized to charge an unsporting foul.
Well, it happens so rarely, and is usually so unsuccessful that it's not really as big a deal as this.

So.... I'm gonna follow my own advice and go get a life. Anything besides arguing about this. Maybe I"ll read my kids to sleep tonight.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Just two (euro) cents:

FIBA Official Interpretations 2006, art. 38, statement 3:
"While a player is in the act of shooting for goal, opponents shall not be permitted to disconcert that player by actions such as waving a hand(s) to obstruct the shooter’s field of vision, shouting loudly, stamping feet heavily or clapping hands near the shooter. To do so may result in a technical foul if the shooter is disadvantaged by the action, or a warning if the shooter is not disadvantaged.

Example
A4 is in the act of shooting for a goal when B4 attempts to distract A4 by shouting loudly or stamping feet heavily of the floor. The shot for goal is:
(a) Successful
(b) Unsuccessful.

Interpretation:
(a) A warning shall be given to B4 and shall be communicated to coach B. This warning shall apply to all players of team B for the remainder of the game for similar behaviour.
(b) A technical foul shall be charged to B4."
So FIBA treats basketball like golf or bowling? Interesting.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So FIBA treats basketball like golf or bowling? Interesting.
I don't really think the point of the FIBA rule (which I like) is to make basketball like golf. But the fact is that yelling at the shooter is NOT playing defense, it is NOT a basketball skill and it is NOT sportsmanlike.

When we are taught how to call intentional fouls at the end of the game, one of the expressions that we hear over and over is make sure the defender is making a "basketball play". You can hit someone's arm in a normal defensive posture, or you can hit someone's arm from behind with no chance to touch the ball. The first is a normal "basketball play"; the second is not. It's possible to be surprised by an opponent's cut to the ball and reach out and inadvertantly hold the player (even the player's jersey); you can also simply grab the jersey on purpose to prevent the cut to the ball. The first is a "basketball play"; the second is not.

I think the FIBA rule eliminates tactics that are clearly not "basketball plays". Yelling at someone is not part of what it takes to play the game. Getting rid of this "tactic" would be a positive step, IMHO.