The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Best way to get rid of it is for shooters not to be affected.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I don't really think the point of the FIBA rule (which I like) is to make basketball like golf. But the fact is that yelling at the shooter is NOT playing defense, it is NOT a basketball skill and it is NOT sportsmanlike.

When we are taught how to call intentional fouls at the end of the game, one of the expressions that we hear over and over is make sure the defender is making a "basketball play". You can hit someone's arm in a normal defensive posture, or you can hit someone's arm from behind with no chance to touch the ball. The first is a normal "basketball play"; the second is not. It's possible to be surprised by an opponent's cut to the ball and reach out and inadvertantly hold the player (even the player's jersey); you can also simply grab the jersey on purpose to prevent the cut to the ball. The first is a "basketball play"; the second is not.

I think the FIBA rule eliminates tactics that are clearly not "basketball plays". Yelling at someone is not part of what it takes to play the game. Getting rid of this "tactic" would be a positive step, IMHO.
That's cool, ScrappyDoo, but would you have the courage of your convictions to ever call that in a FED or NCAA game?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's cool, ScrappyDoo, but would you have the courage of your convictions to ever call that in a FED or NCAA game?
If they included it as a new rule or POE, you bet I would. I hate that crap. As the rules stand now, I don't call it -- I've been told not to call it -- even though I believe it to be unsportsmanlike. Give me a rule to stand on, and this will happen only once in my game.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Give me a rule to stand on, and this will happen only once in my game.
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhh!

Didn't you read NevadaRef's posts?