View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-21-2000 02:32 PM
Todd,

I think we have a better although not perfect system.

Anytime a Varsity game follows a JV game we as varsity officials must be there to evaulate the JV officials for at least 2 quaters. The scores they receive rank them in order on the JV list. Each year the bottom 5 rated officials on the varsity list move back to the JV list and the top 5 JV Officials move to the varsity list.

I like that idea. Too many opportunities for evaluating JV officials to pass up, yet only a couple of us in my association have actually done some. Probably would generate a lot of discussion at the least by the varsity guys, but it's a good process I think. And in our largest conference, I'd much rather have the number of assigned games determined by rankings/ratings from my fellow officials than by the biased ratings of the coaches who know little about proper officiating. The latter has been a particular sore spot for many refs in the past couple of years. I wouldn't mind seeing more ways for VARSITY guys to be evaluated, too, which is even more rare out here. Also, I did check out the web site and printed it to review later. Thanks! Maybe I'll see some things I can propose at my next association board meeting.