The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

UT vs. UNC - NIT 3rd-place game

Anyone see the flagrant intentional against UT?

Your thoughts.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 08:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
Anyone see the flagrant intentional against UT?

Your thoughts.
Well, my first thought is that there's no such thing as a flagrant intentional foul under either NCAA or NFHS rules, whether the foul happens to be personal or technical. It can be a flagrant foul or it can be an intentional foul. Pick one.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough...I saw the bones so I assumed intentional but was announced as a flagrant and the UT player was ejected.

Comments on whether the act was grounds for the flagrant.

From what i saw on TV I wasn't convinced it warranted ejection but I'm not the one working in MSG.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but I'm not the one working in MSG.
Not meaning to be punk or sound condescending but you are right. How are we to know what might have been said between the 2 players involved or what they did to each other previously. Alot goes into that type stuff.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 09:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

I just saw it this morning on SportsCenter. They only showed it once and at full speed. No replay. Both the C and L gave the intentional signal, then the announcer said he'd been given a flagrant and was done for the night.

From the one angle I saw, it didn't look flagrant to me. He definitely fouled him hard from behind while the shooter was in a vulnerable position. But it didn't look like he "struck" him or took him to the floor. (Maybe he did, and I just missed it on the video.)

I don't want to sound like I'm second-guessing the officials. I'm sure they had a good reason to toss him. I just didn't see it in the clip that ESPN showed.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I just saw it this morning on SportsCenter. They only showed it once and at full speed. No replay. Both the C and L gave the intentional signal, then the announcer said he'd been given a flagrant and was done for the night.

From the one angle I saw, it didn't look flagrant to me. He definitely fouled him hard from behind while the shooter was in a vulnerable position. But it didn't look like he "struck" him or took him to the floor. (Maybe he did, and I just missed it on the video.)

I don't want to sound like I'm second-guessing the officials. I'm sure they had a good reason to toss him. I just didn't see it in the clip that ESPN showed.
One replay I saw, he yanked him to the floor by grabbing his shirt.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 11:13am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
One replay I saw, he yanked him to the floor by grabbing his shirt.
Good enough for me. Buh-bye!
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Alot goes into that type stuff.
Agreed, hence why I posted because I thought the play warranted discussion, it certainly would of if it happended at camp.

If you remember I was going from:

Quote:
From what I saw on TV
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I had a playoff game and was traveling. But I recorded the game and will take a look later tonight.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Watched the game today, fast forwarding through the commercials.

I don't think the initial contact was the issue. The fact that he pulled him down by the jersey and caused his head to hit the basket support is what got him ejected.

Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The fact that he pulled him down by the jersey and caused his head to hit the basket support is what got him ejected.
I was watching and listening while exercising on the eliptical and a few minutes after the play the announcers mentioned (don't know if they were informed by the officials or were just giving their opinion) Hanborough's head hitting the support was a factor.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

Well crappy, I didn't see the game either but this year's book has what they call a *major concern for men*. Maybe this applies?

Quote:
Major Concern for Men

Airborne Player/Excessive or Severe Contact. When a player is airborne attempting a lay-up, any excessive contact by an opponent shall be an intentional personal foul, even when the opponent is legitimately attempting to play either the ball or the player. When the contact is severe, a flagrant personal foul shall be assessed. The airborne player is in a position of vulnerability and any contact that is excessive or severe shall be penalized.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I was watching and listening while exercising on the eliptical and a few minutes after the play the announcers mentioned (don't know if they were informed by the officials or were just giving their opinion) Hanborough's head hitting the support was a factor.

Isn't that what I said?

Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 06:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well crappy
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well crappy, I didn't see the game either but this year's book has what they call a *major concern for men*. Maybe this applies?
Quote:
Airborne Player/Excessive or Severe Contact. When a player is airborne attempting a lay-up, any excessive contact by an opponent shall be an intentional personal foul, even when the opponent is legitimately attempting to play either the ball or the player. When the contact is severe, a flagrant personal foul shall be assessed. The airborne player is in a position of vulnerability and any contact that is excessive or severe shall be penalized.
It absolutely applies, but it doesn't say that a hard foul from behind MUST be flagrant. It says if the contact is severe, it should be flagrant, otherwise intentional. And from the one angle I saw, with no replay, I said it didn't look severe. But I didn't see him get pulled down or his head hit the basket support. After hearing about the full extent of the contact, I agree with the officials totally. I was in no way trying to say that they blew the call.