The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Refs suspended as discussed in Referee Mag.

Anyone read this month's Referee and the articles about referees being suspended for "bad calls". What do you think about this?

I assign and I would never suspend for judgement calls- rules kicked maybe.... but judgement, thats just not right.

If a team doesn't love you and lets me know no problem you don't have to see them, we have plenty of other games.

If you want to get suspended, miss a confirmed assignment, be out of uniform, don't return my calls/e-mails..... but judgement calls! PLEEEEEZE!&%?
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 08:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Welcome to the board AJS.

I agree... suspending on judgment calls opens quite the can of worms. An official would have to be very bad for quite some time, and not showing improvement, to justify a suspension.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Wed Nov 22, 2006 at 08:44pm.
Old Thu Nov 23, 2006, 12:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I remember just last season or maybe the season before when an NBA ref was suspended for 3 game for failing to recognize that a shot hit the rim. Anybody else remember that? It resulted in a shot clock violation (because the shot clock didn't reset) but I don't even think it affected the outcome of the game. But the guy got the boot for 3 games. I thought that was really harsh and undeserved.

I also hate the trend (which I think is a fairly recent development) of announcing through the media when officials are suspended. I think that's totally unnecessary.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Michael Henderson was the NBA official in question (above). Incidently he is no longer employed by the league.