The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Camp or no Camp

We had a few 2nd/3rd year officials who attended bball camps this summer. A lot of the guys in the association seem to look down on these guys because they are taking what they learned and applying it. Most of the guys putting the camp guys down have never been to camp. Some of those officials have been ref'ing high school for a long time. What is the thought on officials who have never attended a camp. I have a friend who is a DII ref. He believes in camps. He says would you let a doc operate on you who has never been to medical school I don't think its all that serious but what does everyone think about camps and have you had the same reaction from officials who have never attended.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes go to camps. There are a lot of old farts that do not like that level of scrutiny they are not used to. Do not allow those attitudes to stop you from learning. The key is picking the right camp and going for the right reasons.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

CAMP

I'm a younger official who has been going to camps now for three years, and am moving up because of it. In three years I've gone from a mixed JV/V schedule to JUCO. I got criticized by many of the "ol' tymers" in my, now former association. Don't let these people hold you back. Get to camp, move up. It's the only way you can.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Camp. Definitely. No brainer.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I believe camp shortens the path by several years. There you are exposed to quality people, new philosophies, up-to-date mechanics etc. It gives you a chance to get out of your element and really try to learn in an environment absent of your immediate peers.

Anyone who says "you dont need camp" is likely the same guy that has the mind set of "I dont want to help people because they will take my games".

I know from personal experience that camps will definately take your game to the next level and when you apply those abilties on the floor the following season, people will notice.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I live in the Indianapolis area. What are some of the more popular camps to attend?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
CAMP

I'm a younger official who has been going to camps now for three years, and am moving up because of it. In three years I've gone from a mixed JV/V schedule to JUCO. I got criticized by many of the "ol' tymers" in my, now former association. Don't let these people hold you back. Get to camp, move up. It's the only way you can.
I'm with tmp44 on this one. I am very young as well and have been to college and NBA camp and worked my first college game before I worked my first HS game. It's the only way to go. If the old fogey's in your assosciation look down on it, screw 'em. It's a place where you can continually improve at your craft and get better and better every game, and if you aspire to be a good official you always want to get better and better with each trip out to the floor. So IOW GO TO CAMP!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:59pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yrref
A lot of the guys in the association seem to look down on these guys because they are taking what they learned and applying it.
In Florida, the State requires approved camps (they like to call them field clinics) once every four years if you want to be considered for post season play. There are some codgers that don't like it and don't go, but then that's why they disappear after the last regular season game and re-appear, grouchy as ever, at the first rules meeting of the season (which they also despise). I think they are the same guys that work as the crabby starter at the local municipal golf courses.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I think camps are the best thing for some who are looking to increase their skill level, knowledge and understanding of the game. I also think that those that dont go to camps should not judge the ones that do go. So are in this for the money and other are in it to move forward. Camps where and are the investment I have ever made.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't go to a camp until I had officiated for a year. I just felt, through conversations with other officials, that if I went before I worked I would be in way over my head. Since then I go to at least 2 each summer. Not this summer, but the following one I'm planning on hitting a D1 camp just to see what I can learn and how I stack up at that level. I know I need more experiencde before I go there, but I want to go before I get too old.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Camps are great if you go to the right camp for the right reasons. Your first camp as a 2nd year ref probably shouldn't be a camp aimed at guys trying to crack D1. That's just not the right camp for you. You shouldn't go to a teaching camp if you're trying to get games. That's not the right reason to go to that camp.

Make sure you know what you want to accomplish by attending the camp and then find out if that's a good camp for you to meet those goals. Then go and keep your mouth closed and your ears open. Take notes. Bring tapes.

Good luck!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Not go to camp? It's the opposite here, the old guys look down on folks who don't go! In fact, if you never go to camp here, you'll never do a varsity game. Well, almost.

Camps are definitely worth the time and money. Find one that's aimed at teaching, that's local, that has clinicians and evaluators that you'll also run into during the season. Get tapes!! Tapes are the best learning tool there is, and tapes from camps are mega-learning in a box. And don't argue. Even if the eval is dead wrong, just nod and say mm-hm. Then remember to double check the rule book when you get back to your bag. Keep asking questions, watch others' games, and then ask some more questions.

Camp, camp, camp!!
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

In our area, camps are very much encouraged. In fact, you cannot work a state tournament in Washington State unless you have attended a 3-person camp in the past 3 years.

I have a good friend who has officiated for almost 30 years. When he first started, there were no officials camps. Then there was one ref camp that started in California that a few people from up this way attended. Then the camps gradually made their way up here. He said that the officiating has evolved and improved immensely since the camps came into existence.

I have seen officials who have been stagnant for years, suddenly "break through" after going to a camp and working on their game in a single off-season. I cannot think of a single official rated in the top 20 of our association that has not been to several camps.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Many of those old guys who are looking down on you for going to camp, are the same ones who are jealous of you for wanting to get better. They are probably the same old vets who are probably who are unfamiliar with new rules & mechanics...IMO if you want to get better, you gotta go to camp.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Camps are great - why wouldn't you want to get extra training on to become an even better official?