The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think the line of thinking is that there really shouldn't be a time when lead should have to call a 5 second violation. The lead is primarily there for post play. If a player is dribbling out front and then gets into the lane still legally guarded the T should be staying with the count. Besides that, it would be difficult to see a visual count from the lead on the baseline. Too many bodies in the way most of the time.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
The lead is primarily there for post play. If a player is dribbling out front and then gets into the lane still legally guarded the T should be staying with the count.
Agreed.
Quote:
Besides that, it would be difficult to see a visual count from the lead on the baseline.
So, are you saying just because no one can see your count, there shouldn't be one?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was just saying that I think the difficulty seeing a visual count on the baseline might be one of the reasons they don't want the lead counting. In fact, I would guess that soon we'll use the NCAA mechanic of having the T chop the clock in on a baseline throw in. Different situation but the same difficulty.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was just saying that I think the difficulty seeing a visual count on the baseline might be one of the reasons they don't want the lead counting. In fact, I would guess that soon we'll use the NCAA mechanic of having the T chop the clock in on a baseline throw in. Different situation but the same difficulty.
Understood.

I guess my point is no one seems to know exactly why, but most seem to accept it. I'm just questioning the mechanic based on the theory that it is allowing two sets of eyes on the ball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

There is no written rule that I have found in the case, rule and officials manual. It may be a region by region situation. I have and been in games that a lead makes the call especially baseline outside the lane yet in front of lead and neither T or C primary and the lead makes the call on a trap.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it's one of those unwritten things. I can't remember seeing any high school officials in my area counting visually from the L. I know I was told early on never to do it so I don't.