The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Failure to award Free Throws - Correctable When?

Partner and I had a great boys game tonight. Came down to two chances to tie with 3 pointers with 5 seconds left but both rimmed out. At halftime we were talking and both of us have had a game in last week with the same partner who failed to award merited free throws. We were talking about awarding the shots. I got an absolute total case of brain freeze. I promise I don't drink and I did remember to take the little pills to stop the voices. But I cannot remember if you can award missed merited free throws at any time in game when the error is discovered or not! I thought I read that you could the other night but couldn't find it at halftime. I'm tired tonight. Someone just give me the answer, please. I hate not being able to remember this!
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:32pm
We don't rent pigs

2-10-2 states

that the error must be recognized during the first dead ball after the clock has been properly started.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Any correctable error that has to do with free throws can be corrected before the second live ball. So after that, you just live with it. The only error that you can correct after that is if the teams are going at the wrong basket. Then you tell them to go the other way and everything that has happened, stands.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 10 CORRECTABLE ERRORS
ART. 1 . . . Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.
ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

ART. 3 . . . If in Article 1e the error is made while the clock is running and the ball dead, it must be recognized by an official before the second live ball.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe
Any correctable error that has to do with free throws can be corrected before the second live ball. So after that, you just live with it. The only error that you can correct after that is if the teams are going at the wrong basket. Then you tell them to go the other way and everything that has happened, stands.
well, technically, there are some other "errors" that are fixable anytime during the game. These are usually scoretable errors, or book-person errors, and must include definite knowledge of the ref in order to get fixed.

It's also important to note that only the errors listed in 2-10 can be corrected in the time noted in this thread. Other mistakes, such as giving the ball to the wrong team for a throw-in, are unfixable as soon as the clock starts. Just remember, there are no do-overs in basketball.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Juulie,

wasn't happy with my response when I posted it. Thanks to you and Nevada for the clarifications. Just moved to Arizona for the winter. First scrimmages this week. I am being evaluated to see if I am capable to officiate higher than sixth grade! Need some luck.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe
Thank you Juulie,

wasn't happy with my response when I posted it. Thanks to you and Nevada for the clarifications. Just moved to Arizona for the winter. First scrimmages this week. I am being evaluated to see if I am capable to officiate higher than sixth grade! Need some luck.
Wow, you're in an area where luck counts? Around here it's either skill or politics...
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

I could swear that I read the other night that they could be awarded at any time. But I often fall asleep reading the rules book at night and might have dreamt it. I really did take the pills and the voices are quiet. I did, I did, I really really did!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I could swear that I read the other night that they could be awarded at any time. But I often fall asleep reading the rules book at night and might have dreamt it. I really did take the pills and the voices are quiet. I did, I did, I really really did!
You're lucky you have meds that quiet the voices. I've got about five that just never stop. I've just had to learn which ones to listen to (and when), and which to ignore.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:57am
Never Stop Learning

Talking

Just remember, there are no do-overs in basketball. I seem to remember a post I made some time back where a whole lot of people felt a do over was in order. Does 2.8 seconds on the clock bring any memories back to anyone.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 02:46am.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Just remember, there are no do-overs in basketball. I seem to remember a post I made some time back where a whole lot of people felt a do over was in order. Does 2.8 seconds on the clock bring any memories back to anyone.
In my opinion, "a whole lot of people" were incorrect.
I don't care how much or how little time is left, I'm not going with a do-over in NFHS basketball.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Partner and I had a great boys game tonight. Came down to two chances to tie with 3 pointers with 5 seconds left but both rimmed out. At halftime we were talking and both of us have had a game in last week with the same partner who failed to award merited free throws.
Rev, did you mean to say "...with the same partner and we failed to award merited free throws"?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 08:57am.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Rev, did you mean to say with the same partner and we failed to award merited free throws?
O boy, its the post police!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
O boy, its the post police!!!!!
Nah Rob, you're missing my point, it has nothing to do with grammar.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nope. He's the guy who gave the ball to the wrong team who inbounded the ball just as I (first game) his partner (second game) was ending the reporting of the foul and had to stop play to correct the error. I'm sticking to the he not we on this one.