The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Just remember, there are no do-overs in basketball. I seem to remember a post I made some time back where a whole lot of people felt a do over was in order. Does 2.8 seconds on the clock bring any memories back to anyone.
I beg to differ with this statement. Refer to my rather long post about player shooting at wrong basket and then read casebook rule 10 about wrong team making a throw in. If it's accidental, you cacel the score and put time back on, and give ball to correct team for do-over. (I'll never get that one wrong again ).

Mregor
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:36am
Never Stop Learning

Thumbs up

Your not differing with me. I know situations that common sense dictates do overs. You must have missed my very very long post that I ended up closing due to so many people disagreeing.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I beg to differ with this statement. Refer to my rather long post about player shooting at wrong basket and then read casebook rule 10 about wrong team making a throw in. If it's accidental, you cacel the score and put time back on, and give ball to correct team for do-over. (I'll never get that one wrong again ).

Mregor
You need to be extra careful how you refer to this situation, if you mean case 10.1.8.

That's doesn't refer to just any old wrong team making a throw in. If you give the ball to the wrong team for a throw-in, and that throw-in is completed, and the game goes on, it's tough.

Case 10.1.8 is ONLY after a made basket when the scoring team quickly throws the ball in and scores. If it seems to have been an accident, you do as you suggest, but if not you do all those things and assess a T.

That never applies in any other wrong-team-throw-in.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor

Mregor
That's still not a do-over. You aren't giving the ball back to the same team again for the throw-in, right? You are awarding it to the opponent.

A do-over is when you reset everything and line everyone back up the same way and play it again under the same conditions as before.

This time you are going to have a player in the other color jersey standing next to the official who administering the throw-in.