The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Who shoots the FT's?

I never thought I would run into this type of situation in a college-level game, but see if anyone can figure out why we did this (NCAA rules):

Middle of the second half, A1 gets fouled on a shot attempt by B1, the ball does not go in. A1, upset the shot didn't go in, slams the ball to floor, it bounces up, hits the bottom of the rim and comes down and hits another player. Easy T. So we go down to the other end, B2 shoots the T FT's, then we come back and put A3 (who was already in the game) on the line to shoot the foul shots. No, we did not put the (afaik) wrong shooter on the line.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I never thought I would run into this type of situation in a college-level game, but see if anyone can figure out why we did this (NCAA rules):

Middle of the second half, A1 gets fouled on a shot attempt by B1, the ball does not go in. A1, upset the shot didn't go in, slams the ball to floor, it bounces up, hits the bottom of the rim and comes down and hits another player. Easy T. So we go down to the other end, B2 shoots the T FT's, then we come back and put A3 (who was already in the game) on the line to shoot the foul shots. No, we did not put the (afaik) wrong shooter on the line.

A1's T was the player's fifth foul. A had no eligible subs.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

What Bob said, and I hope that YOU didn't put A3 at the line, but that his coach or captain designated him to be there.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Dang, that's why Bob gets paid the big bucks - he knows this stuff.

That's exactly what happened. We had an NAIA school's JV squad play the next door neighbor junior college. The JV team only had 6 players, but still built up a comfortable lead of about 20 points by midway through the second half. It's a good thing, because right about then they had one player, then another, foul out. They were already playing 4-on-5 when my play occured. The table informed us the T was A1's 5th foul, so we sent her off, then shot the T FT's. Then (yes, Nevada ), we asked A's coach who he would designate to shoot the foul shots.

So, for the last 8 minutes or so of the game, they played 3-on-5. All this was happening while the stands were filling up for the men's game which was to follow. So a rather boring, blowout-type game became an exciting contest. The other team started cutting into the lead, and got it to within 2, but could never get over the hump. A ended up winning by 8.

I don't think I have ever been in the situation where the team with less players still wins the game. It has been many years since I've even been in the situation of calling a game with an uneven number of players.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

So, for the last 8 minutes or so of the game, they played 3-on-5. All this was happening while the stands were filling up for the men's game which was to follow. So a rather boring, blowout-type game became an exciting contest. The other team started cutting into the lead, and got it to within 2, but could never get over the hump. A ended up winning by 8.
Ya know...if that team had a coach to motivate and focus them they could have won that game. Someone with enough pride in them to just lightly smack 'em on the chin and get them going...
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I don't think I have ever been in the situation where the team with less players still wins the game. It has been many years since I've even been in the situation of calling a game with an uneven number of players.
I did a Men's JuCo last season in which an undermanned (5 players) visiting team was losing by 15 points at halftime but cut it down to about 6 points with about 2-3 minutes to play. At this point V's center fouls out leaving V with only 4 players. They actually came back and sent the game into OT before finally succumbing in the OT period.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Ya know...if that team had a coach to motivate and focus them they could have won that game. Someone with enough pride in them to just lightly smack 'em on the chin and get them going...
I was watching for flying chairs...

The juco coach knows how to get excited, but she does it in the right way. Believe me, she was working the sideline hard, but I felt sorry for her because she just doesn't have the talent this year. Her team missed several point-blank shots during their 5-on-3, including one stretch where they missed 4 layups in a row, and also gave up 2 fast-break baskets to the other team.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
LMAO
Richland, WA
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

One night when I was still officiating in DC I was scheduled to do the Varsity girls contest, but arrived early. The jv game was close so I was watching it. At the start of the fourth quarter the home team had a 10 point lead and I when to the lockerroom to get ready. Well it turned out that my partner and I were in that lockerroom for quite a while. We kept saying, "Isn't that game over yet?" It turns out that not only did the visiting team come back to tie the game and force an extra period, but they had multiple players foul out and even were forced to play most of the overtime with only three players. Despite that they WON the game!

BTW a guy I know who used to coach at a very small school told me that his team once won a game with only ONE player remaining!

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 06:45pm.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

In HS, I split my time one year between JV and C team. On the JV team, we were losing considerably, and were down to 6 players, including myself. Somebody fouled out, and so I should have gone in to finish the game, but our coach had us finish the game with only 4 players so that I would be able to play a whole game with the C team.

Now, I know that you can't do that, but only because of this board.