The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just confirming

When a player dunks before the game and there is a Technical called,,it is a technical on that player correct?? and not a team tech?? Thanks
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

10.3.4 SITUATION C: Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks. RULING: A1 and A2 are both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box, the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the coaching box for the entire game.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

and from the Rules Book

RULE 10
SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:

ART. 4 . . . Grasp either basket during the time of the officials' jurisdiction, dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball prior to or during the game or during any intermission until jurisdiction of the officials has ended. This item applies to all team members.
EXCEPTION: A player may grasp the basket to prevent injury.
PENALTY: (Art. 4) For dunking or grasping during pregame or intermission, the foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Technical on the player, indirect to the coach and his player has bought his coach a seatbelt for the game.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

and if you really don't like the coach maybe a 3rd will dunk or try too, and you can show him the door for a real short night! 3 quick indirects.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
and if you really don't like the coach maybe a 3rd will dunk or try too, and you can show him the door for a real short night! 3 quick indirects.
No, the two dunks will really be 3 and I would like to think the coach would control his players at that point.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I would

I would like to see A1, A2, and A3 dunk prior to the game. I just hope I wasn't the R that had to tell the coach your are out of here. I wonder if I or anyone will ever see that.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
I would like to see A1, A2, and A3 dunk prior to the game. I just hope I wasn't the R that had to tell the coach your are out of here. I wonder if I or anyone will ever see that.
The problem is that the majority of officials wouldn't apply the rule correctly.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
The problem is that the majority of officials wouldn't apply the rule correctly.
Out of ignorance or on purpose because they believe that it is not common sense?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

This coach would deserve to be gone!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Out of ignorance or on purpose because they believe that it is not common sense?
Wonder where this comment is coming from....?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I meant out of ignorance but I agree with the common sense part.

However if a crafty player studied the rule book for whatever reason and found out that this is the rule. This would be a great way to use the rules to his advantage if he has a problem with the coach!

I could just imagine 3 upset bench players that did not get playing time during the season use this rule to get the coach kicked out of an important game . BUT they better make sure the officials on the court know the rule .
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

And practice won't be fun the following week!

(BTW there have been posts on this forum before about this actually happening in Portland or Seattle or somewhere else up there.)
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And practice won't be fun the following week!

(BTW there have been posts on this forum before about this actually happening in Portland or Seattle or somewhere else up there.)
Yep I thought of that. It could be 3 senior players that have hated their coach for 3 years and on the last game (maybe even a playoff or championship game) they do this to get back at their coach. WOW, I would not want to be the official in that game.

If you find a link to those games in Portland or Seattle I would love to see it.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
If you find a link to those games in Portland or Seattle I would love to see it.
Dunking in warmups

See posts #27 and #32 by Camron Rust.