The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 09:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The coach now has to designate his 5 starters for the next period.
Say what?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here, at the beginning of each period, the head coach sends out the 5 players he wants to start that period. Does somebody else do it where you live or do you guys allow them to start with less than 5?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

That is the quirk the rules committee failed to address with the new rule. All they wanted was to make any technical foul which happened during intermission to be an indirect on the coach also. Instead of just incorporating it into a definition of an indirect foul they messed with the definitions of Player, bench personnel and substitute.

In the past the 5 players on court at the end of 2Q remained players by definition. That said, if neither the coach, sub, etc. told the scorer who the 3Q starters would be by the warning horn rules required the 5 players on court at end of 2Q to start 3Q.

Now since ALL are bench personnel (substitutes by def) the only way to get a sub in the game is they must report to start the 3Q. If not done by the warning horn the rules as they stand now provide neither a way to designate who must start by rule nor a way to legally get anyone into the game as the rules prohibiit any subs after the warning horn.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Tony and Daryl,
While it is certainly true that the NFHS clarified that all team members are bench personnel during intermission this year, that is not new. It has been in the Case Book for years.
As for making the coach declare 5 players or have 5 kids check in with the table prior to the start of each period, do you really try to enforce that? If so, you might need to borrow my pipe wrench!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, I thought of that rationale, but does that mean that a team cannot take a sixth time-out during halftime or the intermission between quarters because that is not DURING REGULATION PLAYING TIME?

How about during a dead ball period? One could interpret that as not DURING playing time!
Sorry I'm so slow to respond. Its Ohio State-Wolverweasel week.

I interpret Playing time to me time on the clock, not live ball/dead ball
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tony and Daryl,
While it is certainly true that the NFHS clarified that all team members are bench personnel during intermission this year, that is not new. It has been in the Case Book for years.
As for making the coach declare 5 players or have 5 kids check in with the table prior to the start of each period, do you really try to enforce that? If so, you might need to borrow my pipe wrench!
To enforce it would make more problems than ever. I know I won't. I surmise the only ones who might are the ones who want to show their rules superiority and forget common sense.

BTW: They are bench personnel only during halftime (intermission between 2Q and 3Q). During the intermission between the 1Q and 2Q and the intermission between the 3Q and 4Q they remain players so no one would have to report then.

I agree the case book has been trying for years to say that all team members were bench personnel. But by plain rules definitions it was wrong, wrong, wrong. Previous rules always said a player remained a player until he was substituted for, etc. The new rule making everyone bench personnel during intermission was not a clarification but was in reality done to cover their own butts by making a rule in line with their erroneous ruling to make themselves look good rather than admit their own mistake.

That is another of my pet peeves. Rules can never be adopted by the case book. The rule book must be changed first. The purpose of the case book is to be an aide to understanding the rule. To make "law" through editorial changes or interpretations which clearly in opposition to adopted definitions prostitutes the whole system on which integrity relies.

Last edited by Daryl H. Long; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 12:54pm.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
BTW: They are bench personnel only during halftime (intermission between 2Q and 3Q).
Reference, please.

Quote:
During the intermission between the 1Q and 2Q and the intermission between the 3Q and 4Q they remain players so no one would have to report then.
I agree they don't need to report -- they also don't need to report before the 3rd quarter if the same individuals are players
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tony and Daryl,
Where did I say this was new?

Quote:
Where did I say they had to report?

You'd be better served to read what's written, as opposed to trying to read into things. That's true in several threads that you're currently involved in.

Darryl, intermission occurs between all periods, not just the 2nd and 3rd.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith