The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Believe it or not, one boys team last year had a play called 'fuschia'. They didn't look like they enjoyed calling that play, but the coach insisted.
There was a team around here that had a play called "wide out". They stopped calling it out after they were called repeatedly for timeouts.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 07:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
There was a team around here that had a play called "wide out". They stopped calling it out after they were called repeatedly for timeouts.
A team around here is called the Crimson Tide. The coach said that he has a play called 'Tide' and that sometimes it is confused with 'time'. The dazed look on my face did not seem to give him a hint that he was onto a bad idea.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is not having a "X" one of the reasons to issue a T under rule 10? Or, in the rule that specifies having an "X", does it list a T as the penalty? Answer those questions and you know how to answer the test question and how to administer it during the game.
Thanks for the wake up call... reading to much into the question. False
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 08:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And don't wait till the last minute like this guy...

Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
Thanks for the wake up call... reading to much into the question. False
I believe that this question is on the NFHS exam to call attention to the fact that the NFHS handles some of these items differently from the NCAA.

To explain further, the NCAA also requires such a mark to designate the scorer's location.
2-12-19
For ease of identifying the official scorer, one of the following shall
be placed on the floor in front of the individual’s spot at the scorers’ table:
a. An “X” composed of 12-inch line segments that are 2 inches in
width.
b. An NCAA logo that is a minimum of approximately 8 inches in
diameter.

c. An NCAABasketball logo that is a rectangle approximately 1
12 feet

by 2
12 feet.

Yet, there is no penalty prescribed for failing to have such a mark as far as I know. (I've checked this year's version of the book online and can't find anything.) If anyone out there knows differently please say so. Perhaps this is covered in the NCAA D1 handbook, which I don't have. That is the same as the NFHS.

However, that is not the case with the division line. Both the NFHS and the NCAA require a continuous or shadow line across the middle of the court, but only the NCAA provides a penalty if it is not present. There is no penalty in the NFHS book.

Section 3. Indirect Technical Fouls

The following shall result in an indirect technical foul to be charged to a team

(coach), player or, in the case of a substitution, to that individual.

Art. 7. Center circle/division line.
The home team shall comply with the

division-line and center-circle rules. (See Rules 1-4 and 1-5.)

A.R. 1.
Team A and Team B are playing each other on Team D’s home court in a tournament hosted by Team D. Team C will play Team D immediately after A’s and B’s game. There is no continuous division line or center circle on the playing court. RULING: Neither Team A nor Team B shall be assessed an indirect technical foul but, when Team D plays Team C, Team D, when the situation still exists, shall be assessed an indirect technical foul to begin the game since it is the home team. Only the home team shall be responsible for having a center circle and division line on its home playing court. Team C will shoot two free throws and the game shall start with a jump ball.

Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I coached a team that was ranked 7th in the province, back in the late 90s. We had a play called Jim. So named because it was a play that had two cutters go backdoor, in a delayed pattern. Jim = Jim Morrison = "The Doors". Hey, 13 year old girls respond to the oddest things.
In the big "Canada has disease" phase, there was a team I did with 3 distinct plays.

SARS
Mad Cow
West Nile

I almost pissed my pants when they started calling them I was laughing so hard.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Our association, here in Connecticut, has finally decided to take a strict, proactive approach regarding a properly marked, or a lack of, coach's box.

If a coach's box is not properly marked, we have been instructed by our association, to request that the home management (athletic director, site director, coach, etc.) mark each coach's box with tape. If the home management refuses, i.e. "We're not allowed to put tape on our gymnasium floor", then the home coach will lose the right to use the coach's box and will only be allowed to stand under the old "seat belt" rule, which we haven't used here in Connecticut since 1989. The visiting coach will be allowed to stand in front of his or her bench area. We have also been instructed to call our association assignment commissioner or secretary the next day. These guidelines will be in effect for all levels, middle school, freshman, junior varsity, and varsity.
In our association, if the game mgmt refuses to put down markings for the coaches box, the home coach sits, the visiting coach gets the NCAA coach's box--baseline out to 28' line.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
In our association, if the game mgmt refuses to put down markings for the coaches box, the home coach sits, the visiting coach gets the NCAA coach's box--baseline out to 28' line.
How can you knowingly give a coach a box that is twice as big as the maximum allowable by NFHS rules?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
How can you knowingly give a coach a box that is twice as big as the maximum allowable by NFHS rules?
Don't ask me, I just work here. But each year the subject comes up in our board meetings, that's the answer that's is provided. I guess it's meant as an extra-added deterent to not properly marking the court.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Don't ask me, I just work here. But each year the subject comes up in our board meetings, that's the answer that's is provided. I guess it's meant as an extra-added deterent to not properly marking the court.
Clearly, it is not your fault as you aren't making the decision, but I have to say that I totally disagree with your local interpretation. The visiting team should be allowed what they are entitled to, but nothing more than that.

But by the reasoning of your local board, if the home team doesn't mark the division line through the center restraining circle, the home team would still be penalized for backcourt violations, but the visiting team would not!