The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

As officials we are trained to look out for jewelry,from the moment we walk on the floor until we speak with the captains pryor to the game.Now after checking out everyone thoroughly we are ready to start the game.Then we say a few words to our partner(s) and we notice that our partner(s) have a nice shiny gold chain around there neck(s) Is this accepted now by supervisors of officials or do some officials think this is not a big deal?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Jewellry

The rules of the game should apply to the officials on the floor. They can endure the same injuries as the players and jewellry can create the same problems. I have been involved with many associations over 40 years as an official and none of them allowed officials to wear any kind of jewellry- now ,that is not to say some of them did not break the rules and wore their medic alerts and wedding bands but officially it was never allowed and I never saw anyone wear such things at the higher levels of amateur competition.
Pistol
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio High Schools take the stance that wedding bands and med alert braclets are OK, everything else must go.

Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 12:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Ohio High Schools take the stance that wedding bands and med alert braclets are OK, everything else must go.

What about nipple rings and belly-button studs? They don't show.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
What about nipple rings and belly-button studs? They don't show.
Then I suppose you deserve your fate!
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Cool A mr. T like golden chain???

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
As officials we are trained to look out for jewelry,from the moment we walk on the floor until we speak with the captains pryor to the game.Now after checking out everyone thoroughly we are ready to start the game.Then we say a few words to our partner(s) and we notice that our partner(s) have a nice shiny gold chain around there neck(s) Is this accepted now by supervisors of officials or do some officials think this is not a big deal?
Jewelry worn by referees, in my opinion, wouldn't pose such a threath as when worn by players (since a ref isn't exposed to the level of contact players can experience). Still I think a referee has a function as a role model and as such I find it not acceptable for him to be wearing jewelry. Therefore I think it's quite acceptable to point this out to your partner(s). This for me being theoretical, since I'm still to experience such a situation.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Unhappy Officials Wearing Jewelry During The Games

A veteran official once told me that certain things can hold you back if you are trying to advance.He explained that if a observer is looking to fill a vacancy in there staff, and it comes down to two officials to choose from. The way some observers look to make there choice is by looking for the official who looks the part.I would hate to be passed over because I choose to wear a Mr. T Starter Kit around my neck!
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 03:32pm
Administrator

The NFHS 2001-03 Basketball Officials Manual only allows wedding rings and the CCA Manuals for 2-Person and 3-Person Crews do not even allow weddings rings.

Since I have been officiating basketball long before I met my smart, wonderful, and beautiful wife, I do not even wear my wedding ring when I officiate a high school game let alone a college game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Oh yeah - wear your wedding ring, guys. Then quickly turn to point the direction for an OOB and smack some kid in the face with it - liability city! And yes, it is different than if you would have inadvertantly poked him in the eye.

BTW - I have worked a few rec games with a guy who always shows up late, reeks of tobacco stench and wears about 3 heavy gold neck chains. I told the scheduler at that facility not to schedule me with him ever again. Also BTW - he's a lousy ref, too. Fortunately, he is on the "everyone else is absolutely unavailable" list.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Oh yeah - wear your wedding ring, guys. Then quickly turn to point the direction for an OOB and smack some kid in the face with it - liability city!
Any football fans here...specifically Carolina (not me, thank goodness!)? Chris Weinke wears that medical tape stuff on his ring finger during games as a "reminder" to both himself and his wife watching on TV that they're married. The announcers explained it, and I though that was kinda neat-o!
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Everyone

Listen to Mr. De Nucci.
Pistol
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 07:51pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down ...whatever....

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp

Chris Weinke wears that medical tape stuff on his ring finger during games as a "reminder" to both himself and his wife watching on TV that they're married.

I don't need a ring, or a chunk of tape, to remind me.
I know. I won't forget.
...of course, I'm not young, good looking or an NFL QB.
mick
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Officials Wearing Jewelry During The Games

Quote:
The way some observers look to make there choice is by looking for the official who looks the part.I would hate to be passed over because I choose to wear a Mr. T Starter Kit around my neck!
I suppose that means that the "Braveheart" Kit is out too???? No long braids or painted face in the State of your choice?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Officials Wearing Jewelry During The Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
The way some observers look to make there choice is by looking for the official who looks the part.I would hate to be passed over because I choose to wear a Mr. T Starter Kit around my neck!
I suppose that means that the "Braveheart" Kit is out too???? No long braids or painted face in the State of your choice?
BTW.... I subscribe to the "Don't ask someone to do something you're not prepared to do yourself" philosophy... I always remove my wristwatch and wedding band.....

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 03:41pm
In Memoriam

Tell that story, Mark.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Since I have been officiating basketball long before I met my smart, wonderful, and beautiful wife, I do not even wear my wedding ring when I officiate a high school game let alone a college game.
Mark,
Tell your story about the Lawyer and the ring that wouldn't come off.
mick