The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Coach out of box

In my game yesterday, I had a coach come out his box and to halfcourt (short court, halfcourt was maybe 5 feet from end of box) and tell me "come here, I need to talk to you about that call." I called a foul on his player he didn't agree with. He had been complaining most of the game, out of the box, and on the floor. I gave him the stop sign, told him thats enough, and he turned around and went back to his bench. The more I think about it, I probably should have given him a T.

What would you have done given different severities of the situtation?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:23am
In Memoriam

One warning per game to stay in his box, unless there are specific instuctions from your state to penalize immediately with no warning.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

What would you have done given different severities of the situtation?

"Coach we can discuss that during the next time out, but right now you need to go back to the coaches box and remain there the rest of the game."

Then get the ball in play.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

One reminder of 'bench decorum' is more than you have to do. Coaches know there's a rule. They'll push the limit as much as they can. Remind them, if you are so inclined, and then whack him. The next ref who has that coach will thank you for it. Either that, or the coach will have to learn the hard way. Best to handle it early too. 4th quarter in a tight game is too late to start getting antsy about enforcing the coaches box if you've blown it off thus far.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like he might have needed a warning sooner. Nip it in the bud.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
One warning per game to stay in his box, unless there are specific instuctions from your state to penalize immediately with no warning.
Just wondering what other states besides Illinois have the one and you're done penalty.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Just wondering what other states besides Illinois have the one and you're done penalty.
Illinois no longer has the one and done penalty.

According to the Rules Interp meeting and a meeting run by one of the Exec VPs for basketball, "there is no basis for giving one official waring. It doesn't appear that way in the rulebook." Thus, we are back to what we've always had. Find a way to deal with the coach and get them back in the box. If the situation warrants a T, use it. If there's a better way to handle it, do that.

The quoted areas are the specific comments from those people. The unquoted statements are paraphrasing what both of those people said.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

First things first. I would not be going to a coach that is "telling me" to "come here." I would always let it be known that if he/she wants to talk to me, they need to behave in a manner that warrants a conversation first. Deal with the behavior first when you can. Secondly, if a coach is out of the box, deal with that before you answer any questions. I tell coaches flat out, "I am not talking to you unless you get in that box." That tends to send the message they need to be in the box. If the coach does not get your hints, then give them a formal warning and then let your partners know you gave them this warning. If you give the stop sign, your partners likely saw the gesture. If the coach cannot get the hint, take care of business.

Coaches know what their responsibilities are. They know what they are allowed to do. They often want to test us to see what they can get away with. I really hate giving Ts for this, but I have little sympathy for coaches when you have been nice and told them directly or indirectly what they need to do as it relates to the coaching box.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
Illinois no longer has the one and done penalty.

According to the Rules Interp meeting and a meeting run by one of the Exec VPs for basketball, "there is no basis for giving one official waring. It doesn't appear that way in the rulebook." Thus, we are back to what we've always had. Find a way to deal with the coach and get them back in the box. If the situation warrants a T, use it. If there's a better way to handle it, do that.

The quoted areas are the specific comments from those people. The unquoted statements are paraphrasing what both of those people said.
Well I was stating the one and done meant you were done with your box, i.e.; sit down. Sorry to leave that in the air.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Hmmm, half court???? I would have stuck him. But as it was stated in a previous comment, he probably should have been warned earlier. A coach can always call time out and discuss any issues.