The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Making them stand still on a throw in?

Partner last night I've never seen before. I thought it might be an interesting night when I saw the Byron collared shirt and long white lanyard. He's been out of officiaiting for awhile and only works as a sub when someone can't show. I noticed that on throw ins when the girls would line up in a straight line formation he made them all get set and told them not to move before he would give the thrower the ball. The coaches looked confused, too, but never asked me about it. Did this used to be a rule in years gone by? I've never seen this before. The game was such a blow out I didn't bother to ask afterwards. I was just ready to call it a night.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

If any player in the line moves prior to the snap of the ball, then it is a false start penalty. The team will be moved back downcourt five 5 yards.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 02:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I noticed that on throw ins when the girls would line up in a straight line formation he made them all get set and told them not to move before he would give the thrower the ball. Did this used to be a rule in years gone by?
There's never been a rule like that afaik.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I knew it would be interesting when in his pre-game he said to the coaches, we have no rule changes this year. So at the half would you stop and ask him what he's doing and let him know this isn't a rule or would you just let it go? I was actually so frustrated by a bunch of other stuff that he was doing that need not be mentioned that I had actually switched into the get in, "git 'er done", shake hands, and get out mode. I think that he, on the other hand was having a great time.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 02:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I was actually so frustrated by a bunch of other stuff that he was doing that need not be mentioned that I had actually switched into the get in, "git 'er done", shake hands, and get out mode.
Probably the best thing to do. No need to agrue about something like this, considering he just subs. It's likely if the official hasn't got the memos yet regarding the rule changes, speaking to him probably won't do much good.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2006, 03:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
He didn't toss up a jump at the free throw circle instead of using the arrow, did he?
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

or stop the game after a basket and take the ball to the center circle!
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I had a partner like this in soccer - reffed with him once in the spring middle school leagues, and once in the fall HS season. He was out of officiating for 7-8 years (about the time I have been doing it - people said he was around before I was), and is following rules from back then. There were some major changes 3-4 years ago in soccer that he was calling like they used to be, putting me (when I was in front of the coaches) in the awkward position of trying to answer questions about it.

I was quite happy to have those games finished.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
There were some major changes 3-4 years ago in soccer that he was calling like they used to be,...
Really? What major changes were those?
Are you talking about NFHS or USSF soccer?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Really? What major changes were those?
Are you talking about NFHS or USSF soccer?
NFHS - things like: 1) No redos on throw-ins - if you don't get it onto the field, the other team gets it. 2) Allowing the other team to sub on throw-ins and corner kicks if the team throwing-in is. 3) 6 seconds, no step count, for goalies releasing the ball into play. I believe there were a few others, but these were the ones I can think of.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
NFHS - things like: 1) No redos on throw-ins - if you don't get it onto the field, the other team gets it. 2) Allowing the other team to sub on throw-ins and corner kicks if the team throwing-in is. 3) 6 seconds, no step count, for goalies releasing the ball into play. I believe there were a few others, but these were the ones I can think of.
I asked because I didn't think that there had been any significant changes in the past five years.
The oldest NFHS soccer rules book that I currently have is from 2002-03. That is five seasons ago. Of the three items you mentioned only #2 was a change since then. It occurred in the 2004-05 season, and the change was specifically only for corner kicks -- the defense could already substitute on throw-ins if the offense did. The other two happened prior to 2002.

Therefore, your partner must have been away for quite a while.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I asked because I didn't think that there had been any significant changes in the past five years.
The oldest NFHS soccer rules book that I currently have is from 2002-03. That is five seasons ago. Of the three items you mentioned only #2 was a change since then. It occurred in the 2004-05 season, and the change was specifically only for corner kicks -- the defense could already substitute on throw-ins if the offense did. The other two happened prior to 2002.

Therefore, your partner must have been away for quite a while.
It was something like 8-9 years. I think those changes happened 2-3 years from when I started, not 2-3 years ago - the years keep slipping away from me
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

That sounds like a better timeline. It's amazing how those years fly!