The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

OOB Throw In - Step on the line

Now, i started asking this to officials last year i worked with , it was about a 50\50 split.

Assuming there is a definate line painted around the court, not just wood grain to a solid color to the wall. Although that helps my point a little if it painted like that.

When A1 goes to throw the ball in, steps on the painted line but does not touch the woodgrain of the court. Is this crossing the plane, or does the player indeed have to touch the grain of the court for crossing the plane, and thus losing the throw in.

I haven't found it in the book yet but my contention is on a live ball from the court as soon as you step on the line, the play is called dead. So on a dead ball throw in you are OOB and step on the line you are still OOB. Others have said on a dead ball, the line becomes the boundry for live or dead. What do you think.

Bresquire
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

No doubt you are correct. I don't have a citation for you, but the line, regardless of width, is OOB. It is the plane from the inbounds edge of the line that matters.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:17am
Courageous When Prudent

You are right. And you have used the correct logic to reach your conclusion.

Quote:
I haven't found it in the book yet but my contention is on a live ball from the court as soon as you step on the line, the play is called dead. So on a dead ball throw in you are OOB and step on the line you are still OOB.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bresquire View Post
Now, i started asking this to officials last year i worked with , it was about a 50\50 split.

Assuming there is a definate line painted around the court, not just wood grain to a solid color to the wall. Although that helps my point a little if it painted like that.

When A1 goes to throw the ball in, steps on the painted line but does not touch the woodgrain of the court. Is this crossing the plane, or does the player indeed have to touch the grain of the court for crossing the plane, and thus losing the throw in.

I haven't found it in the book yet but my contention is on a live ball from the court as soon as you step on the line, the play is called dead. So on a dead ball throw in you are OOB and step on the line you are still OOB. Others have said on a dead ball, the line becomes the boundry for live or dead. What do you think.

Bresquire
I think the "others" won't make it to NCAA ball in three years even if they live in SoCal.

"Inbounds" is "inside the lines", not "on or inside the lines". If they want that definition, have them take up volleyball.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

If they want that definition, have them take up volleyball. LOL i love that quote!!
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You are correct; the line is out of bounds just as the division line is considered back court territory.

Consider a court with a "line" that is three feet wide.

However, you're incorrect in one of your assumptions.

The ball is not dead during a throwin; it is live. Live ball/dead ball does not affect this play, but it affects many other aspects.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:10am
certified Hot Mom tester

This question comes up a lot when I train new HS kids to work our local kids rec league. I tell them to think of it this way. If you are holding the ball on the court and you step on the line, you're OOB, therefore the line is OOB, not inbounds, so an inbounder can step on it all they want and they're still OOB.

They usually get it.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I've found it quite effective to answer the fallacy about stepping on the OOB line during a throw-in this way: "So you're saying he violated during the throw-in because while he was out of bounds he stepped on the {short pause} out of bounds line? Which is {short pause} out of bounds?"

If they remain unconvinced, then I normally ask, "What about a court that has two foot wide endlines with the school name painted on them. Do you make the thrower go all the way to the other side of the line to throw it in? Can the defender be on the line while he guards the thrower?"

If it doesn't click after that, it's hopeless.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:20am.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I had this conversation with one of my high school partners when we first became a crew. I told him to think of a gym where they don't have lines, just the oob painted a different color than the court. When would you call the violation there? That helped me visualize early on that it is not the inside edge of the line, but the edge of the line nearest the court.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ? Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tennis Anyone ???

OK, we all know that the lines are out of bounds in basketball. In which sports, if any, are the lines inbounds?

I'm not a NASCAR fan but wasn't there a problem with a car going "over" the inside line in a race a few weeks ago? What if he had just touched the line with his tires, but didn't go over the line?

Answers from any sports will be appreciated, even marbles.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:24pm.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
OK, we all know that the lines are out of bounds in basketball. In which sports, if any, are the lines inbounds?
Soccer, tennis, volleyball, baseball, and softball are a few examples.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bresquire
Everyone so far has given you the correct answer, but no one has yet provided a rules citation, so here is what the NFHS Case Book says:

9.2.5 SITUATION:
Thrower A1 inadvertently steps onto the court inbounds. A1
immediately steps back into normal out-of-bounds throw-in position. The contact
with the court was during a situation: (a) with; or (b) without defensive pressure
on the throw-in team.
RULING: A violation in both (a) and (b). COMMENT:

Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the
court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgment is required in making the
call.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 08:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, this case doesn't even mention the player stepping on the line, which was the OP. Secondly, this case is a violation; the OP is not.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nevada, this case doesn't even mention the player stepping on the line, which was the OP. Secondly, this case is a violation; the OP is not.
Hey, copy and paste is enough trouble. You expect him to read it, too?

Lonesome Dove