The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Players must stand and they must remian in the bench area, meaning they cannot wander down to the opponent's bench area.

Bench personnel can stand during any charged TO but are not required too.

The rules posted are the only references needed.
Shhhhhh.....I'm having fun.

We now resume our regular programming.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
why the early bird gets the worm
I've always wondered why Common Sense can tell you that "the early bird gets the worm", but can't tell you that "the early worm gets eaten".

Welcome back to Standard Time everyone, I enjoyed getting my hour of sleep back.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I've always wondered why Common Sense can tell you that "the early bird gets the worm", but can't tell you that "the early worm gets eaten".
Good question. Along the same lines - why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

J-Rut -- I totally agree -- is this the board #6 way?

this sounds like the first step down the path of immortality.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
No, again, it only refers to the players. The players must remain standing. It places no requirement on the other team members to either stand or not.
Agreed, but this part makes it sound like the rest of bench personnel MUST stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Rule 10, Section 4, Article 4c: "Bench personnel shall not stand in the team bench area and must remain seated except during a charged time-out, as in 5-12-5,".
That is not what it is actually saying, but I see how someone could take it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Additionally, there is NO penalty specified for the players not standing. If they choose to sit, what is the call. Nothing!
I recall reading somewhere that the official is supposed to direct the players to stand if they go sit down during a 30-second time-out. They need to comply immediately. If they refuse, they are subject to a team technical foul.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I recall reading somewhere that the official is supposed to direct the players to stand if they go sit down during a 30-second time-out. They need to comply immediately. If they refuse, they are subject to a team technical foul.
me thinks this is in regard to those 5 that were on the court when the timeout happened -- THEY HAVE TO REMAIN ON THE COURT -- they cannot sit.

other then them standing i dont care if the other players sit, stand, get water, go to take a pi$$. On a 30second timeout there is only a limitation for the active 5 to remain on the court -- if the coach subs one out and he sits then that is fine. I don't think this has ever been an issue in any of my games and I cannot recall anyone ever mentioning a 30second timout nightmare like this
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
me thinks this is in regard to those 5 that were on the court when the timeout happened -- THEY HAVE TO REMAIN ON THE COURT -- they cannot sit.
Yeah, those five are the PLAYERS. See the definition provided in 4-34-1.

Quote:
other then them standing i dont care if the other players sit, stand, get water, go to take a pi$$. On a 30second timeout there is only a limitation for the active 5 to remain on the court -- if the coach subs one out and he sits then that is fine. I don't think this has ever been an issue in any of my games and I cannot recall anyone ever mentioning a 30second timout nightmare like this
If you understood the definiton of a player you wouldn't have written this. There are no "other players." There are only those five. The rest are properly called team members.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

i would love to hear how you talk to coaches -

you: coach your team member got a T for swearing
coach: which player got a T?
you: none of your players got a T -- it was that team member on the end of the bench
coach: which player's number?
you: coach its not a player its a team member
coach: ummmm.....

please to damn technical here -- if i had a link to the death of common sense article i would paste it here
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

you: none of your players got a T -- it was that team member on the end of the bench

please to damn technical here -- if i had a link to the death of common sense article i would paste it here
Actually, deecee, I call them "bench personnel."
Richland, WA
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Lou: You the coach of this team?
Bud: I certainly am.
Lou: You got team members on this team?
Bud: Certainly!
Lou: Is dat one of your team members right there?
Bud: Why, yes he is.
Lou: Well, then, what's that player's number?
Bud: Which player?
Lou: Dat one, right there!
Bud: He's not a player.
Lou: Look, he's on the team, right?
Bud: Naturally.
Lou: So he's a player for your team, right?
Bud: No! It's halftime!
Lou: But he's a member of the team!!
Bud: Now you've got it.
Lou: I don't even know what I'm talking about!
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Of course we're (well, I'm) not going to be that specific in most interactions with coaches. But, on an official's forum, it behooves us to us the proper vocabulary, especially when it makes a difference in the rule interpretation.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, I agree. When discussing the rules in an online forum diction is important. That is the point that I was trying to make to young deecee.
His response as well as that of Chuck's was certainly amusing!

Now just to mess with his head a bit more I will note that, a team member sitting at the end of the bench can be charged with a Player Technical Foul even though he is not a player!
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

i reitre -- you can watch the ceremony on espn4 tonight.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Conflicting Citations

I've finally come across some additonal written citations, besides the three pertinent rules that I've already posted from the 2006-07 Rule Book, to support whether of not bench personnel are allowed to stand during a thirty-second time-out, or if only the five players are allowed to stand up. Unfortunately, they are conflicting citations:

2004-05 Simplified and Illustrated Rules, page 41: Shows an illustration of a thirty-second time out with only the five players and head coach standing. Bench personnel are shown sitting on the bench in this illustration.

2001-02 Rule Book, Comments on the 2001-02 Rules Revisions, page 72: Requirement To Stand During A Thirty-Second Time-Out (5-12-5): "Additional discussion reflected concerns about whether or not substitutes should be permitted to join the conference with coach(es) and players. Because of instructions that may be given, the interpretation has been that team substitutes should be able to participate in the time-out meeting."

In my opinion, the Comments on the Rules Revisions in the Rule Book, "trumps" the Simplified and Illustrated Rules. Unless I hear otherwise from my board interpreter, I'm lettting the bench personnel stand during the thirty-second time-out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I've finally come across some additonal written citations, besides the three pertinent rules that I've already posted from the 2006-07 Rule Book, to support whether of not bench personnel are allowed to stand during a thirty-second time-out, or if only the five players are allowed to stand up. Unfortunately, they are conflicting citations:

2004-05 Simplified and Illustrated Rules, page 41: Shows an illustration of a thirty-second time out with only the five players and head coach standing. Bench personnel are shown sitting on the bench in this illustration.

2001-02 Rule Book, Comments on the 2001-02 Rules Revisions, page 72: Requirement To Stand During A Thirty-Second Time-Out (5-12-5): "Additional discussion reflected concerns about whether or not substitutes should be permitted to join the conference with coach(es) and players. Because of instructions that may be given, the interpretation has been that team substitutes should be able to participate in the time-out meeting."

In my opinion, the Comments on the Rules Revisions in the Rule Book, "trumps" the Simplified and Illustrated Rules. Unless I hear otherwise from my board interpreter, I'm lettting the bench personnel stand during the thirty-second time-out.
It doesn't need to trump it. The S & I shows a situation, not the only legal situation. It makes no mention that those players that are sitting are required to do so...nor does the picture imply that they must.