The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile "The Basketball Fix"

I was at the local Dollar Store (Nordstrom's had just closed) and found a bunch of DVDs in the two-for-a-dollar bin. I couldn't resist buying one called "The Basketball Fix". It's from the mid-50s. John Ireland is a sportwriter and Marshall Thompson is a HS basketball star who is ready to graduate but has not yet picked a college.

Ireland helps him get a scholarship to "State" and he inadvertantly gets involved with a gambler. Of course, he starts shaving points and the gambler pays him off big time. They all get caught in the end when he fixes the "National Championship" game, which just happens to be played in State's old gym.

What was fun was seeing the game footage. The referees were wearing striped long-sleeved button down shirts with striped collars, plus light grey belted, pleated pants. They seemed to be wearing black Chuck Taylor All-Stars on their feet. It was weird to see them signal two points after every basket.

If you get a chance to see this movie, do it. It's definitely worth fifty cents.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Was Jurrassic an extra in the movie???

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 20, 2006 at 11:19am.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Was Jurrassic and extra in the movie???
No, but Jurassic wore almost the exact same outfit when he started out as the officials wore in that movie. My first year, as a just-turned 16-year old, was 1959-60. We wore grey slacks with a black belt, a long-sleeved broadcloth black-and white striped shirt(and you couldn't roll up the sleeves either), and white socks with high-cut white running shoes. Black low-cut Chuck's weren't available until a couple of year's later.

We looked goofy as hell. You don't know how lucky you are with the quality and variety of equipment available now compared to the way-back days.

Btw, my very first assignment was a high school varsity boys game. That's how it was done back then- sink or swim. Talk about being thrown into the fire......
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Dinosaur Ref

Did you really signal two points after every basket ? And if you did what was the purpose or thinking behind it ?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No, but Jurassic wore almost the exact same outfit when he started out as the officials wore in that movie. My first year, as a just-turned 16-year old, was 1959-60. We wore grey slacks with a black belt, a long-sleeved broadcloth black-and white striped shirt(and you couldn't roll up the sleeves either), and white socks with high-cut white running shoes. Black low-cut Chuck's weren't available until a couple of year's later.

We looked goofy as hell. You don't know how lucky you are with the quality and variety of equipment available now compared to the way-back days.

Btw, my very first assignment was a high school varsity boys game. That's how it was done back then- sink or swim. Talk about being thrown into the fire......
Great Story JR! Thanks for sharing those memories.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Great Story JR! Thanks for sharing those memories.
Watching movies like that and Hoosiers does bring back memories, Dude. Good memories.

You know what is amazing? How come I know less about basketball officiating today than I did back then?

It's true, it's true....
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Did you really signal two points after every basket ? And if you did what was the purpose or thinking behind it ?
Yeah, that was a mechanic. I think that it maybe was used because a lot of gyms had crappy rings and short nets. Sometimes when a shot was "all ball", you had a hard time telling if the ball actually went in because nuthin' seemed to move- rim, net, board, nuthin'. I can remember double-clutching from the trail a few times because I wasn't real sure. So.....we signalled every shot. They changed that a few years later to just signalling the table if you thought that there might be a doubt.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Did you really signal two points after every basket ?
No. Sometimes you signaled just one point after a FT. Sorry. Couldn't help it. But the truth is, this wasn't abolished until fairly recently. It was still the mechanic when I started in '93, and I think it lasted for a few years after that.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
How come I know less about basketball officiating today than I did back then?
And considering what you knew back then. . .
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
And considering what you knew back then. . .
Hell, I knew everything back then!

That lasted until about my fifth year. It's been downhill ever since.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 12:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
. We wore grey slacks with a black belt, a long-sleeved broadcloth black-and white striped shirt(and you couldn't roll up the sleeves either),
Strangely enough, one of the refs in the movie had his right sleeve (only) rolled about halfway up. He really looked goofy (no, not that Goofy).
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Strangely enough, one of the refs in the movie had his right sleeve (only) rolled about halfway up. He really looked goofy (no, not that Goofy).
Maybe it was before lanyards, and the idiot string got caught on his sleeve ?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA (feeble)

Quote:
This is still a mechanic in FIBA! (I think they don't trust their table people in europe )
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Maybe it was before lanyards, and the idiot string got caught on his sleeve ?
My wife knitted me a pair of alligator mittens once(you made the alligator mouth with your four fingered mitt-part opposite the thumb) that had an idiot string on 'em. I was around 30 iirc and she made some for my kids; I thought they were way cool so she made me a pair too. I wore those mothers to more than a few games, I tell ya. JR makes a fashion statement.

It's true, it's true......seriously too.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausref23
This is still a mechanic in FIBA! (I think they don't trust their table people in europe )
Yeah - but how do they indicate the "two" in metric? Do they also have to raise 54/100ths of the next finger?