The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Penalty for Delay (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28942-penalty-delay.html)

Rick Durkee Wed Oct 18, 2006 08:06am

Penalty for Delay

Officials warn Team A for delay for interfering with the ball after a goal. Later, Team A delays by not having the court ready to play following a time-out. Officials should assess a Team Technical for the second instance of delay. However, the officials (for whatever reason that I understand should be prevented) do not realize it is the second delay by Team A. From reading Rule 10-1, I assume that the officials must assess the technical at the time the second infraction occurs. Do I assume correctly, or can the penalty be assessed when it is discovered? If officials must assess the penalty at the time of the infraction, when does the time to assess the penalty expire?

bob jenkins Wed Oct 18, 2006 08:34am

My opinion: Once the ball has become live, the game is not being delayed. It's then too late to assess the penalty for delay.

Hartsy Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
My opinion: Once the ball has become live, the game is not being delayed. It's then too late to assess the penalty for delay.

YaBut, what if the delays are reported to the table properly, and at the half someone tells you not to forget that Team A has a delay for X and a second delay for Y so another delay for one of those things is a T?

Raymond Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:12am

Question never answered in the 5 years I've been a ref...

1st quarter: B2 reaches across the plane during throw-in and
  • a) fouls A1 and intentional foul is called
  • b) touches the ball and technical foul is called.

So far everything is good. Later in the same game....
  • 3rd quarter: B2 reaches across the plane but neither touches the ball nor A1.
Would this be the first warning for delay or would situations a and/or b above also have counted towards the warning limit?

M&M Guy Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:23am

Quote:

I agree with Bob. (I've been doing that a lot recently...)

It's not a correctable error situation, so those rules and time limits wouldn't apply.

What if a coach calls you a cheatin' SOB, and, for whatever reason, you decide to think about it for a play or two. Then, after play goes up and down the court, you decide the comment was false and it really was unsportsmanlike. Do you issue the T then?

The play, and the time to make the call is past, so we move on.

ChuckElias Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:23am

BNR, in both (a) and (b) part of the penalty is a warning for delay.

ChuckElias Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:24am

Quote:

Assuming that the water is cleaned up at that point, I agree. If you put the ball in play, but then get to the front court and find water still on the court, could you stop the game, direct the team to clean it up and also issue the delay warning (or T)?

bob jenkins Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
BNR, in both (a) and (b) part of the penalty is a warning for delay.

And, the T in (b) is charged to the player.

Raymond Wed Oct 18, 2006 09:48am

Quote:

My bad Bob, I knew that. I had a brain freeze.

Kajun Ref N Texas Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I agree with Bob. (I've been doing that a lot recently...)

It's not a correctable error situation, so those rules and time limits wouldn't apply.

What if a coach calls you a cheatin' SOB, and, for whatever reason, you decide to think about it for a play or two. Then, after play goes up and down the court, you decide the comment was false and it really was unsportsmanlike. Do you issue the T then?

The play, and the time to make the call is past, so we move on.

Why is this not a Correctable Error. 2-10-1

Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
a. Failure to award a merited free throw.

You've called the second delay which should have resulted in a merited free throw that you did not award. As long as the error is caught during the first dead ball before the clock has properly started, shouldn't this be a correctable error.

If not, why not.

Mwanr1 Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:22pm

If you call the T after the ball is live, and go back and issue a T, then the official is delaying the game. Let it go and keep the game going. Our primary responsilbity is to make sure the game flows.

Kajun Ref N Texas Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
If you call the T after the ball is live, and go back and issue a T, then the official is delaying the game. Let it go and keep the game going. Our primary responsilbity is to make sure the game flows.

Then why do we have Correctable Errors in the first place?

FrankHtown Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:32pm

Mr. Jenkins:

Please check whether the technical for delay is charged to the player. I believe it's a Team technical, and the individual does not get charged. I don't have my book with me, and we had this happen in the first half of a game. We charged the player with a technical, but told the coaches we would check the rule book at half time. We checked, and if I remember correctly, we removed the T from the individual player.

Raymond Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Mr. Jenkins:

Please check whether the technical for delay is charged to the player. I believe it's a Team technical, and the individual does not get charged. I don't have my book with me, and we had this happen in the first half of a game. We charged the player with a technical, but told the coaches we would check the rule book at half time. We checked, and if I remember correctly, we removed the T from the individual player.

If the player touches the ball the "T" is charged to the player, if the "T" is for delay of game it is charged as a Team Technical.

Rick Durkee Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Then why do we have Correctable Errors in the first place?

I think the issue is the time limit to make the ruling. The Correctable error rule addresses limitations on the time limits to assess the penalties or correct an improperly executed penalty.