The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Advantage/disadvantage is also applied to violations, JRut; I have had many officials work to instill in me that a carry/travel when the ball is being brought to the frontcourt uncontested should be ignored - no advantage gained.
And if the dribbler steps out-of-bounds uncontested while dribbling into the front court, I take it that you're recommending that should be ignored also? Correct?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Not surprising, really, but I agree with this completely. What I say in my pregame or halftime talk is that if the winning team is holding the ball and is willing to take the foul and shoot the FTs, then we call the foul on the first contact so it doesn't escalate.

But if the winning team is playing "keep away" and is clearly trying to let the clock run, then we're not going to stop them until they actually get fouled. If the losing team gets frustrated and does something stupid, then we have to deal with that.
Thanks for the insight. I've called it this way, but I've never heard it put this way, nor heard it explained that way in a pregame. I'll probably implement this into my pregames. Thanks again.
Closed Thread