The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Game restart question

So I showed up to my regional assignment to find all the cars leaving the parking lot and a fire engine there instead. Got into the school where the AD greeted me with a flashlight. Power out....the 8 pm game was cancelled.

The 6 pm game had started, but ended somewhere in the 1st quarter (officials did not know the time) with the home team up 18-4. I was glancing through the rulebook, but didn't see anything about restarting a game. Is it in there? Do they start over, or do they pick up from the 18-4 score. The host school was pretty sure they would know the time when the scoreboard came back on. What if they don't even know the time left in the first quarter?

Just wondering.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
So I showed up to my regional assignment to find all the cars leaving the parking lot and a fire engine there instead. Got into the school where the AD greeted me with a flashlight. Power out....the 8 pm game was cancelled.

The 6 pm game had started, but ended somewhere in the 1st quarter (officials did not know the time) with the home team up 18-4. I was glancing through the rulebook, but didn't see anything about restarting a game. Is it in there? Do they start over, or do they pick up from the 18-4 score. The host school was pretty sure they would know the time when the scoreboard came back on. What if they don't even know the time left in the first quarter?

Just wondering.
Rule 5-4 Article 3
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Could 5.5.3 be used if they don't know how much time was left?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
The 6 pm game had started, but ended somewhere in the 1st quarter (officials did not know the time).....
How dare they be so derelict in their duty to know the time.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

I am lazy. Would have taken me 3 minutes to find.

Thanks all for the quick response. I never had that happen before and didn't have my rulebook with me to look at it again. I don't even know if Illinois has a state rule for this--however, it was the consensus last night to resume from the point of interruption as long as they knew the time on the clock.

Art. 3... Whenever a game is interrupted because of events beyond the control of the responsible administrative authorities, it shall be continued from the point of interruption unless the teams agree to terminate the game with the existing score, or there are conference, league or state association rules to cover the situation.