The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Quick Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28722-quick-question.html)

tjones1 Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:13pm

Quick Question

A1 dribbles into the lane, picks their dribble up. Is there any rule that allows for this player to stay in the lane for as long as they wish because they have the ball? Another one of those things that someone told me, yet I can't find the black and white to back it up.

refnrev Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:46pm

Someone told you that she could stay in the lane as long as they wanted because she had the ball? That's a new one for me. I'd like to see their reference on that one.
I had someone tell me last year in touney game that there were no shots on an intentional foul because the basket was good. Lesson learned: Don't always believe your partners.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
A1 dribbles into the lane, picks their dribble up. Is there any rule that allows for this player to stay in the lane for as long as they wish because they have the ball? Another one of those things that someone told me, yet I can't find the black and white to back it up.

No. You give some consideration for moving for a shot. But no, he/she cannot stay in the lane as long as he/she likes.

tjones1 Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Someone told you that she could stay in the lane as long as they wanted because she had the ball? That's a new one for me. I'd like to see their reference on that one.
I had someone tell me last year in touney game that there were no shots on an intentional foul because the basket was good. Lesson learned: Don't always believe your partners.

Certainly... I didn't believe it yet. I want some black and white print to prove me wrong. It was a new one for me... maybe he got confused about a player taking multiple shots while in the lane...which is legal.

refnrev Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:51pm

You're partner initals were not SS were they? If so, that would explain a lot!:(

tjones1 Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:51pm

Thanks Tony.

tjones1 Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
You\'re partner initals were not SS were they? If so, that would explain a lot!:(

Ummm, nope.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 07, 2006 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Thanks Tony.

Think about this. If he/she was in the lane for 5 seconds, what are the chances that he/she will find himself with a closed guarded call?

5 seconds, max.

BillyMac Sat Oct 07, 2006 08:22pm

More Than Three Seconds ??

There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

btaylor64 Sat Oct 07, 2006 09:26pm

If they are making an attempt to score I leave it be. If they kick out and leave immediately upon kicking the ball out they are ok in my books

BktBallRef Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64
If they are making an attempt to score I leave it be. If they kick out and leave immediately upon kicking the ball out they are ok in my books

So if the player is in the lane with the ball for 5 seconds and then passes it out, you don\'t have either a 3 second or a 5 second violation?

Jurassic Referee Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

Familiarly known as NFHS rule 9-7-3 <i>verbatim</i>.....

btaylor64 Sun Oct 08, 2006 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So if the player is in the lane with the ball for 5 seconds and then passes it out, you don\'t have either a 3 second or a 5 second violation?

That would be correct.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 08, 2006 05:18pm

Quote:

That would be correct.

So you allow the defense to be drawn to a player with the ball in the lane, allow him to be in there an illegal length of time, and then allow him to dish it out to an unguarded teammate for an open shot?

You don\'t think that\'s creating an advantage for the team with the ball?

I\'ve NEVER heard ANYONE suggest that this isn\'t a violation or shouldn\'t be called. So I\'m really interested in your thought process.

Mark Padgett Sun Oct 08, 2006 06:48pm

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Quote:

That would be correct.

Actually, there\'s a word to describe this - "WRONG"! :confused: