The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I can't stop myself (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28625-i-cant-stop-myself.html)

stmaryrams Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:43pm

[QUOTE=Junker]The bright spots to my lower level schedule is the fact that one of my assignors is requiring all HS games to be 3 man. He wants us to train the guys that never do it...QUOTE]
Some of the leagues in our area have also gone to 3 man crews for JV games for just that reason. It gives the newer officials a chance to work on 3 man mechanics and be better prepared for varsity contests.

Some of my fellow officials have complained about the drop in pay for these 3 man JV games. Any pay loss is offset by experience gain in my book.

I am in a similar situation as I have dropped all of my Frosh and Jr High games except for one school right up the street when needed to fill in.

I do work 4th -8th grade in a CYO league on Saturday mornings for fun. It pays well also. Usually get the most out of touch coaches in the 4th and 5th grades. Guys see Bob Knight on TV and think they've gotta complain about everything and nothing. (i.e. "reaching in, over the back")

REFVA Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:55pm

Quote:

Some of the leagues in our area have also gone to 3 man crews for JV games for just that reason. It gives the newer officials a chance to work on 3 man mechanics and be better prepared for varsity contests.
Are they planning to go to 3 man for all HS games? Or is this for pre-season only?

zeke Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:02pm

One thing that is pretty comforting to know about three man...it's actually the two man system with another guy out there. That's all. It's the same principle. You just get more help on and off the ball. So, all that two man you have been working has just gotten you ready for the next step. Trust me.

26 Year Gap Tue Oct 03, 2006 09:38pm

[QUOTE=stmaryrams]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
The bright spots to my lower level schedule is the fact that one of my assignors is requiring all HS games to be 3 man. He wants us to train the guys that never do it...QUOTE]

Some of my fellow officials have complained about the drop in pay for these 3 man JV games. Any pay loss is offset by experience gain in my book.

I am in a similar situation as I have dropped all of my Frosh and Jr High games except for one school right up the street when needed to fill in.

I do work 4th -8th grade in a CYO league on Saturday mornings for fun. It pays well also. Usually get the most out of touch coaches in the 4th and 5th grades. Guys see Bob Knight on TV and think they've gotta complain about everything and nothing. (i.e. "reaching in, over the back")

Do you T 'em up like you would Bobby Knight? :D

dave30 Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:00am

I always try to remember that the 7th grade "C" team girls game that you have to work is just as important to those girls on those teams as the varsity game is to the varsity players. So, I try to do a good job and have fun with it. It helps if you like kids though.

mj Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30
I always try to remember that the 7th grade "C" team girls game that you have to work is just as important to those girls on those teams as the varsity game is to the varsity players. So, I try to do a good job and have fun with it. It helps if you like kids though.

My partner and I always say when doing a game of "less" quality than we would like...."this is the most important game we have tonight"

Junker Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFVA
Are they planning to go to 3 man for all HS games? Or is this for pre-season only?

I'm in Iowa, our post-season is going completely 3 man, but during the regular season it is optional depending on the conference or school's preference. Luckily I'm in an area where 3 man started for the state and I've worked maybe 4 2 man varsity games in the last 3 seasons. All of my varsity this year is 3 except 1 game where one of my partners is out of town and we're having trouble finding a quality person to take his place. Luckily it is a 1A or 2A game (I haven't been to this school as of now) and not our bigger schools.

zeke Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:46am

Quote:

I'm in Iowa, our post-season is going completely 3 man, but during the regular season it is optional depending on the conference or school's preference. Luckily I'm in an area where 3 man started for the state and I've worked maybe 4 2 man varsity games in the last 3 seasons. All of my varsity this year is 3 except 1 game where one of my partners is out of town and we're having trouble finding a quality person to take his place. Luckily it is a 1A or 2A game (I haven't been to this school as of now) and not our bigger schools.

May I ask where in Iowa?

zeke Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj
My partner and I always say when doing a game of "less" quality than we would like...."this is the most important game we have tonight"

Amen, brother. This relative at every level. That games means something to someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Junker Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:51am

I work in central Iowa, my schedule is split mostly 3A and 4A around the state capital. I'm lucky to work mostly in the first 2 conferences in the state to go 3 man. Are you an Iowa guy too Zeke?

zeke Wed Oct 04, 2006 08:57am

Quote:

I work in central Iowa, my schedule is split mostly 3A and 4A around the state capital. I'm lucky to work mostly in the first 2 conferences in the state to go 3 man. Are you an Iowa guy too Zeke?

My separated wife is from Fort Dodge. I work out that way in Big Ten and the MAC. I live in N.C.

Junker Wed Oct 04, 2006 09:00am

I know Dodge well. One of my best friends that got me into officiating is from there. In fact, I think I have them on my schedule a few times this season.

zeke Wed Oct 04, 2006 09:12am

Quote:

I know Dodge well. One of my best friends that got me into officiating is from there. In fact, I think I have them on my schedule a few times this season.

That's awesome. Good luck and safe travels in that snow.

Junker Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:43am

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get. I ditched my Jeep on some bad roads last year on the way back from a long road trip. Luckily it was close to home so my landlord pulled me out. If he wasn't home I would have spent my game fees in towing service.

zeke Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:48am

Quote:

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get. I ditched my Jeep on some bad roads last year on the way back from a long road trip. Luckily it was close to home so my landlord pulled me out. If he wasn't home I would have spent my game fees in towing service.

Been there done that. On the way to a game years ago and took the 7 month pregnant wife. It was raining. Hydroplane and hit a tree on her side. Spent the night in the hospital. Everyone was and is fine. Motto: take slow leave early and get there safe.